Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:16 PM

We just finished our desk audit and had a few minor non-conformities, one with regards to training.

Auditor stated the Training policy does not fully describe the training that is required for all employees in the plant.

We have training and refresher trainings all year and have records for each employee, sign in sheets and competency quizzes. Auditor was looking for a matrix that describes trainings, who needs them and how often.

My questions (finally), what trainings are an SQF requirement and before I try to recreate the wheel, is there an easy to follow matrix available on line that we can use?

Also, should it be specific to each employee or to groups? (i.e., Jane Smith or Scale Operators)

KevinB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 May 2015 - 12:22 AM

I would make it specific to the job description. I would set up a simple spread sheet with the job descriptions down one side and all of the training across the top. then it is just a matter of checking off the boxes that apply to that position. Ex your scale operator needs to have GMP training, HACCP, Allergen, MSDS/GHS ext but since mixing chemical is not in his job description he does not need training in that area. 

Just my thoughts i tend to work on the KISS principle for my own benefit. 

Kevin

ganderson64

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 45 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:16 PM

The code is requiring that you clearly define what training is required for the employees. SQF does not dictate what training is required, just looking for clarification that specific elements within the code applicable to various positions have been or are scheduled to be completed.

I simply created a matrix with each element of the code (high level) in the left hand column, names at the top, and an "X" indicating if the training was required for each employee.

Of course there are mandatory training elements such as HACCP that everyone must be trained on.

Dory1

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:25 PM

Thank you for the input. I began listing employees, of which we only have 60, but decided to go with areas of work in our production and what trainings for each area.

I'll let you know if they accept my CA this way.

Thanks again!

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:15 PM

I think your Auditor was referring to 2.9.7 in Module 2 of V7.2 SQF Code - Training Skills Register.

You can use a simple excel spread sheet for this purpose.

That is the matrix.

It must be specific to each employee and next to that show job skill.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Mulan1010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 249 posts
  • 139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:16 PM

From my experiences the auditor will randomly pick an employee from each work area either from a crewing schedule and by randomly choose individuals from a walk through. The auditor will then want to see the training records for each individual he/she chose.  The auditor will want to know what type of training is required for each employee's work position and will verify that each training topic required was completed.

I suggest you set up your training requirements based on the Job Positions but you will still need to list the employees individually and what training he/she has received.  It is a challenging task but once you set up a good base then it is fairly simple to maintain, especially if you add formulas to your matrix that highlight or send you messages when someone's training is due.  A simplified example is:

TRAINING TOPICS  

Employee    Job Title                 Hire Date       GMP's          HACCP         SSOP's         Pre-Requisites    Thermometer   Metal Detector     Sanitation       CCP

Name                                                                                                                                  Programs           Verifications    Verifications        Chemicals      Monitoring

Tom One    Receiver              03-MAR-99   10-OCT-14     10-OCT-14   10-OCT-14    10-OCT-14            01-NOV-14      N / A                   N / A               N / A

Tom Two    Oven Operator    15-NOV-10    10-OCT-14    10-OCT-14   10-OCT-14    10-OCT-14            28-OCT-14      N / A                   N / A               12-MAR-15

Suzy One   Sanitation             06-JAN-01    10-OCT-14    10-OCT-14   10-OCT-14    10-OCT-14             N/A                 N / A                   12-OCT-14     N / A    

Suzy Two   Shipper                10-FEB-15     11-FEB-15    11-FEB-15    11-FEB-15    11-FEB-15            12-MAR-15      N / A                   N / A                N / A

It is beneficial set up a time frame in which you expect new employees to receive the proper training, if you have not already done so.  Most basic trainings can be covered in orientation for new employees but the job specific trainings will need to be completed within a limited time frame of his/her hire date.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Training Matrix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users