• Quick Navigation
Photo

What are the requirements for Sensory Evaluations w.r.t SQF?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic
- - - - -

vyassqf

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:09 PM

Hi everyone,

I have following questions to ask:

1. Is it mandatory for the company to get the sensory evaluation done from an accredited sensory lab??

2. How many persons are required to perform this?? I guess it is minimum of 2. But to have better results , atleast 5 members should be there as part of the panel. What is the requirement by SQF?
3. Should we do sensory testing everyday?? Or it can be a weekly/monthly process? How SQF want it to be??
4.How many samples of a product and at what intervals of time??

Please provide your suggestions.Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Regards

Vyas

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:13 AM

Hi Vyas,

It depends on your product, definition of sensory testing. Sensory testing is largely referred to in the requirements for SQF Code LEVEL 3 Food Quality Plan (accredited certification, GFSI + Quality Management) requirements rather than LEVEL 2 Food Safety Plan (accredited certification, GFSI recognition) requirements.

Having said that I would expect you to regularly taste and smell your product and check the appearance.

So to your questions:

1. No it is not mandatory for the company to get the sensory evaluation done from an accredited sensory lab 'Where external laboratories are utilized to conduct input or product analysis, the laboratories shall be accredited to ISO 17025 or an equivalent national standard' If you do use an external laboratory the scope of their certification should cover the tests you are asking them to complete. Most organisations would train their own staff in sensory testing.

2. A minimum of 2 would be good practice. If you are conducting a panel then more. As above there is no number specified by SQF just a requirement to conduct sensory testing for level 3 certification.

3. Again sensory testing is only referred to in level 3.

2.5.6 Product Sampling, Inspection and Analysis:
2.5.6.1 The methods, responsibility and criteria for sampling, inspecting and/or analyzing raw materials, finished product and work in progress, and for analyzing and assessing product quality and sensory attributes shall be documented and implemented. The methods applied shall ensure:
i. Inspections and analyses are completed at regular intervals as required and to agreed specification and legal requirements;
v. Sensory analysis and evaluations are completed after shelf life trials, as appropriate, and at intervals designed to demonstrate the products sensory characteristics are consistently being achieved;
vi. Sensory evaluations comply with the relevant product sensory attributes specified by the customer; and
vii. Sensory evaluations are conducted by trained personnel in accordance with established methods or as specified by the customer.
2.5.6.2 Records of all inspections, analyses, sensory evaluations and actions arising from inspections, analyses and sensory evaluations shall be maintained.

2.4.8 Product Release (M)
2.4.8.1 The responsibility and methods for releasing products shall be documented and implemented. The methods applied shall ensure the product is released:
iii. Once sensory analysis and other evaluations are satisfactorily completed to verify customer specifications have been met.

For level 2 sensory testing is mentioned in GMP requirements: 11.4.1.2 In circumstances where it is necessary to undertake sensory evaluations in a food handling/contact zone the supplier shall implement proper controls and procedures

I would expect to see some sensory tests on products (smell/taste/appearance) every day.

4.This depends on your product and the consistency of your process. Far more information is required from you in order to be able to answer this question.

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 2 Members:

vyassqf

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:23 PM

Hi Tony,

Thanks alot. That was thorough and well written.

I also went through the code and just wanted to re-verify with you people. I am preparing the documentation for SQF 3.

Can I include length and weight measurements as part of sensory as these quantities will affect the Appearance of the product??

Also, am I supposed to specify the limits for such quantities (Eg: Weight : 7g-8g/piece). How and where am I supposed to state this ? Should this go to product information or part of sensory??

Thanks

Vyas

Many th

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:52 AM

Hi Vyas,

Normally such things would be included in your product specification.

I would have 'quality' checks (including sensory) on the same check sheet/record. If you wish you can have a specific record for each product which includes limits for each test although some people have many products so have a generic record and specify limits in a summary table to save the analyst having to refer to the product specification.

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

vyassqf

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:48 PM

Hi Tony,

Currently I am updating the HACCP forms for SQF Level 3.

The following are the changes that I feel should be made:

Form 1- Retain the same template and info except for the column on "Important Characteristics"- where I would specify about the characteristics which are important for Quality instead of Safety. 

Form 2- What changes should I make?? 

Form 3- Marking the QCP s instead of CCPs

Form 4-  --No change--

Form 5-8- Quality hazards and setting Controls

Form 10 - Based on the QCP..(Food Quality Plan)

Please tell me what should be added and what should be removed.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Vyas

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:13 PM

hi viyassqf,

Forms 1 -10 ??

Where ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

vyassqf

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:24 PM

Hi Charles,

I didnt upload the forms as I am working on it. I simply want to know how to adapt the haccp form 1-10 for quality (sqf-3)

In The above mentioned list (FORMS) , I have told my views and doubts. Please could you clarify?

Or if  you want any further information, I will be happy to provide.

Thanks

Vyas

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:34 AM

Hi Charles,

I didnt upload the forms as I am working on it. I simply want to know how to adapt the haccp form 1-10 for quality (sqf-3)

In The above mentioned list (FORMS) , I have told my views and doubts. Please could you clarify?

Or if  you want any further information, I will be happy to provide.

Thanks

Vyas

I find it difficult to comment on a Form without seeing the Form. Maybe it's just me. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:08 PM

I find it difficult to comment on a Form without seeing the Form. Maybe it's just me. :smile:

No it's not you Charles, I'm finding it difficult as well ;)

Regards,

Tony

NM RED CHILE

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:21 PM

Hello Vyas,

I used to run a formal sensory program for a former employer and as you stated, it required a min of 2.  We used a 1-5 scale and measured against a standard.

Currently, as I serve in a multi-function role, my sensory analysis has been reduced to a task rather than a job.

Our product profile would require too much at this point to keep a standard for each product so I my quality check is against the immediate prior and additional priors as needed.  I too do appearance (color, visual texture), taste (mouth feel, aromatics), and aroma.  The world of sensory is so fun but at this point, it is not feasible to be my main focus so the quality check is really for batch to batch consistency.

I have the sensory descriptions included in my specification sheets.  I record my results, by lot and date, in an excel sheet for ingredients (1-5 scale, 5 matching) and sign off directly on finished product batch paperwork as approved.

Like mentioned above, it is a level 3 item but so important on even a basic level.

Best wishes,

Alyssa

Thanked by 1 Member:

vyassqf

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:05 PM

Thanks Alyssa for the response

vyassqf

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:07 PM

@Mr. Tony  @Mr. Charles- I am really very sorry to provide you unclear and inadequate information. I will soon come up with my forms and questions.

Thanks

Vyas

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV