Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:36 PM

We are a processor of farm-raised fish and are working towards BAP certification.  One of the big parts of certification and industry risks is aquaculture drug residue. Initial certification requires monthly testing for six months followed by quarterly.  I have been getting quotes for the required testing and it is blowing my mind!   I firmly support drug testing of finished product but it has be be economically viable.  For all the chatter about drug residue testing I am amazed at the costs and how few labs can perform the required tests. 

Anyone have any advice for a small company trying to navigate the high costs of finished product testing?  

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:21 PM

We are a processor of farm-raised fish and are working towards BAP certification.  One of the big parts of certification and industry risks is aquaculture drug residue. Initial certification requires monthly testing for six months followed by quarterly.  I have been getting quotes for the required testing and it is blowing my mind!   I firmly support drug testing of finished product but it has be be economically viable.  For all the chatter about drug residue testing I am amazed at the costs and how few labs can perform the required tests. 

Anyone have any advice for a small company trying to navigate the high costs of finished product testing?  

From memory, the typical tolerances (LOD/LOQ) and appropriate equipment cost a small fortune. Only a few companies will invest. And then need to recoup asap. :smile:

I seem to remember that it's possible to pre-screen in-house at a somewhat higher level if worried about the results (as well as the cost).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lab, drug residue, antibiotics, aquaculture, finished product testing, lab tests, BAP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users