Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:30 AM

Hi everyone, I am new to the whole HACCP world, so was looking for some help.

I am a chocolate manufacturer, who simply moulds chocolate. I have my Prereq's in order and completed my HACCP plan. (which seems to be a lot of debate out there for CCPs in this world.)

But I am incredibly confused on all the terms. There is a HACCP Manual vs a HACCP Plan?
Which is the contents of each, which is needed?

And when a vendor requests your HACCP Plan what info do you provide vs all the data you have?

Thanks!

YongYM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 231 posts
  • 57 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Reading, Watching TV, Singing Karaoke & Sight-seeing

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:03 AM

Hello chocolateboy:

The HACCP MANUAL (can be as thick as a book) will generally consists of company's info, the terminology you used, layout, HACCP team members, product description, process flow, Hazard analysis worksheet, HACCP Plan Summary etc.

While for HACCP Plan (or HACCP Plan Summary), it is a DOCUMENT (may be a few pages) that summarized all the CCPs you have been identified, the critical limit (CL), the monitoring activities, the corrective actions, the verification activities and the related records.

Yong

Devashree Sambre

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:03 AM

Hello chocolateboy,

From my understanding, the terms HACCP manual and HACCP plan is commonly used in place of a Food Safety Plan which is a part of the Quality Management Sytem or a Quality and Food Safety Manual. A food safety Plan or Program will include all the documents pertaining to food safety- your Prereqs, Hazard Analysis Table, CCPs, SOPs and recording docs for those CCPs, etc. This HACCP plan/HACCP Manual/Food Safety Plan may not contain all other documents that relate to a product's quality. Those along with the Food Safety Plan will be a part of your Quality Manual

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:41 PM

Hi chocolateboy,

2 examples ex - SQF -

HACCP Method  - The implementation of pre-requisite programs and the application of HACCP principles in the logical sequence of the twelve steps as described in the current edition of the CODEX Alimentarius Commission Guidelines, or the current edition of the HACCP guidelines developed and managed by the NACMCF.  The SQF Code utilizes the HACCP method to control food safety hazards and other quality threats in the segment of the food chain under consideration.

HACCP Plan  - A document prepared in accordance with the HACCP method to ensure control of hazards which are significant for food safety in the segment of the food chain under consideration.

IMEX, "HACCP Manual" is a totally arbitrary terminology. In my case it is a document which includes the haccp plan and some related Elements eg haccp plan items whose content is Validated, Traceability Procedures, Coding Procedures. I use other "Manuals" for PRPs, QA, Quality.

Some official haccp presentations title the summary of the haccp "method" above as the "haccp plan" similar to Yong's post, eg -

Attached File  HACCP, CFIA, Generic Model_ Spices – Ready-to-Eat Fresh-Cut Vegetables.pdf   427.04KB   203 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:23 PM

Hello, CB,

It might help if you were to share where you are and what standards you are trying to achieve.  Are you looking for GFSI certification or are you looking to appease a gov't entity?  HACCP  is a very broad topic.

-Setanta         

chocolateboy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 July 2015 - 05:29 AM

Thank you everyone.

I really am continuing to learn what is called what... In my thirst to learn, I have been speaking to everyone and it seems based on their knowledge they have a different view.

I have a completed HACCP Plan for my moulding of milk and dark.

I now understand that it is the HACCP based, Prerequisite Program, that I am looking for. Such as the GMPS, SOPs and SSOPs.

I have all the pieces and just can not figure out a completed version of what a PREREQ program should look like and include.

I am beginning to doubt all my material, now...

For example, I have a complete Allergen Program, but is that inside the PreReq or separate? or do I use the sections of info within the PreReq, or both?

For example, I have a Hygiene Policy then the doc that includes the Procedure, Corrective Action Plan, Responsibility, Verification and Record Keeping.

Are they separate or together?

I have never seen a completed PreReq Program nor a completed HACCP Plan... so if anyone has that to refer to, it would be a GREAT help!

I really wish I would of found this site sooner, you all are a great help!

I am in the USA (NY) looking to appease outside partners.

As for the HACCP Plan, I am looking for a finished version, of what I send to those partners as a "presentation" if you will.

Thanks,

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:22 PM

Hi chocolateboy,

It looks like you are a little confused as to the sequence of Steps involved in developing a HACCP Plan.

I suggest you have a look at this NACMCF link which is the reference basis of many US HACCP Plans -

http://www.fda.gov/F...06801.htm#app-a

The above should clarify the relevance/usage of Prerequisite Programs.

The number of Prerequisite Programs may vary depending on yr Product, Process, intended FS Standard, locality, etc . An example set of 8 completed Prerequisite programs (for seafood)(aka SSOPs) is attached in this link -

http://www.ifsqn.com...art/#entry32236

a "complete" HACCP Plan is defined in Post #4, minimally the haccp plan = set of Prerequisite Programs + documents associated with complying to requirements of the 12 Codex steps or NACMCF procedure. For the 12 Codex steps see this post -

http://www.ifsqn.com...art/#entry91593

The attachment in post #4 is effectively a complete haccp plan minus details for PRPs, Verification/Validation documentation, Codex step12. Depending on the situation (eg Product), some "haccp formats" may also require a few further items such as Traceability Procedure, Recall Plan, etc

PS - you may find this Canadian worked out haccp plan for moulded chocolate of interest -

http://www.inspectio...9/1364492481518

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users