• 54 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:32 AM

Hi,

Good day

We are manufacturing cardboard boxes for the pizaa and I am working to implement ISO22000 in this unit.The side of the cardboard coming in contact with pizza is composed of food grade material but the rest of the stuff is made up of cardboard.

Moreover boxes are stored with other boxes(other than used for food purpose).

What are the tests (Chemical,biological and physical ) for the boxes,dyes and varnishes (any standard document from where I can consult).Moreover does the segregation of raw material (cardboard) and finished product is mandatory  (pizza boxes).

Does someone have GMPs checklist?

Thanks in advance

ChARU13

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:46 PM

Hi Charu,

We are manufacturing cardboard boxes for the pizza and I am working to implement ISO22000 in this unit.The side of the cardboard coming in contact with pizza is composed of food grade material but the rest of the stuff is made up of cardboard.

Moreover boxes are stored with other boxes(other than used for food purpose).

(1) What are the tests (Chemical,biological and physical ) for the boxes,dyes and varnishes (any standard document from where I can consult).

I anticipate that the tests will consist of 2 types –

(a) Regulatory for  those items required to be food grade. Presumably the appropriate Indian Standard(s) (assuming finished product is for local consumption).

(b) If not Regulatory, tests based on the (agreed) Product Specifications/as per requirements of ISO22000. Do you have the Product Specifications?

(2) Moreover does the segregation of raw material (cardboard) and finished product is mandatory  (pizza boxes).

All the food related cardboard/cardboard boxes should be able to be stored together in a  ISO22000 compliant  Dry Store.

(3) Does someone have GMPs checklist?

I anticipate that there is an Indian equivalent to USA’s cGMP ?

(note that ISO22000 has it's own defined requirements for GMP)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tamale

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 36 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:37 PM

Dear Charu,

I have been through the same scenario as you. Attached is an excellent document that will give you guidance for Europe.

You may also want to contact the Recycled Paper Technical Association (RPTA) They set the standard for testing in North America.

Good luck!

Tamale

Attached Files

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:22 PM

bit :off_topic:

This document is a bit OT since it contains little on paper/board/iso22000 but I thought maybe of interest to people reading this thread.

It is a global overview of Continents/Countries Regulatory approaches to food contact packaging.

It illustrates the further necessity of controls for paper-related materials such as detailed in Tamale’s document.

@ Charu - Would be interesting to know what level of Regulatory implementation is currently applied in India.

Attached File  CocaCola,2012 - RA of Food Packaging and Contact Materials.pdf   495.23KB   86 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 3 Members:

charu13

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:05 PM

Thank you everyone for all the answers.j

One more question I have.The workers who are working in pizza boxes factory must follow stringent rules like other food handlers working in food company has to?

Thanks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:28 PM

Hi charu,

Would be interesting to know what level of Regulatory implementation is currently applied in India.

??

Maybe this answers yr previous post also ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

charu13

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:15 PM

As such we do not have any specific requirements for cardboard boxes except migration and moisture tests.For more details I have to check .

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:10 PM

Hi Charu,

I attempted a little searching on this topic. With limited success.

The official situation for regulations regarding food contact (paper/board) packaging in India seems rather “imprecise” –

http://www.packaging...com/3332_.shtml

I did find this small nugget of information with respect to the chemical requirements for eco-packaging (if actually in use ?) –

Attached File  eco-packaging.png   965.54KB   0 downloads

Nonetheless a standard for Printing inks apparently exists but with this caveat –

In India, Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has issued IS: 15495:2004 code of May 2010 -printing inks for food packaging – code of practice. Unfortunately, this is not being enforced to its full potential. It is voluntary to implement this standard. It will be really helpful if the relevant competent authorities enforce these standards on priority to avoid the risks related to consumer or public health in India.

http://www.business-...32000709_1.html

So, from an ISO22000 POV, the legislatory requirements appear to be somewhat sketchy.

But perhaps the local manufacturers implement a more detailed set of safety-related specifications ? Perhaps this is the source of your migration comment (I did see this mentioned in an IS but only for plastic packaging)?

Apologies for the paucity of feedback. You probably know more than the IT. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

charu13

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:31 AM

Hi Charles,

You are right actually.What ever inks we are using is actually not in direct contact of the food.

I got below mention piece .

The following diagrams are taken from FDA requirements and definitions regarding printing ink:

Tech_Bulletin_Ink%20safety_JAN2013_01.jp
Direct Food Contact
 refers to a printing ink or coating (shown above as a multi-colored line) that is intended by design to be the surface in intimate contact with a food product. By virtue of this intimate contact, components of the printing ink or coating have the potential to migrate into food and, therefore, must be in compliance with the FDA’s indirect food additive guidelines at 21CFR Parts 170-189.

Tech_Bulletin_Ink%20safety_JAN2013_02.jp
An example of Indirect Food Contact would be a printing ink or coating applied on the outside of food packaging materials (bags, boxes, etc.). Flair’s award-winning rotogravure printing process works this way, with an inner film separating package contents (food) from any ink. The FDA has no specific guidelines for this scenario. The FDA regulates food additives, not food contact. This type of contact – technically no contact – does not in-and-of-itself require compliance with the FDA’s indirect food additive guidelines (21CFR Parts 170-189). Printing and ink application are only regulated when migration occurs.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users