Grade - Active

• 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:23 PM

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I work for a blown film extrusion company and we are working towards our SQF certification. My question is what type of air testing would we need to complete? In my opinion we would only need to do ISO 8573-1, but our consultant keeps pushing us towards doing the ISO 8573-7 for microbial testing. Is there anyone out there in the blown film industry that could help me with this topic. I don't believe our compressed air comes in direct contact with food or food contact surfaces.

Thank you

ncorliss

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 63 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:07 PM

Good question. Ultimately you need to understand your customers needs and the industry they are serving. SQF will expect you to follow the regulatory requirements of your customers. For us, our customer serves the dairy industry, therefore we test based on the requirements of that industry. If you choose not to, be sure to address this in your HACCP and your justification not to do microbiological.  

tim05

Grade - Active

• 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:35 PM

We currently test to Standards for the Fabrication of Single Service Containers and Closures for Milk and Milk Products section 19e on a quaterly basis. Most customers ask for the regulatory information on our resins. I feel the code is vague and leaves it up to the company to determine if they are direct contact or indirect contact and which validation would be acceptable.

ncorliss

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 63 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:42 PM

Are you an IMS listed business? the Grade A pasteurized milk ordinance has a bit more requirement for the microbiological testing of final goods product, either through swab or rinse testing. We get audited by the FDA and they check the filter rating and efficiency per Appendix H of the PMO. You are right, the standard doesn't list a limit for air quality, just the expectations to have filter ratings at 98% per SAE J726 and final efficiency at least 99% as measured by the DOP test method.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users