Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:09 PM

Is there information on the hazards/risks of using forklifts in the production area in SQF? The only thing I can find is that vehicles used in product processing, storage, or cold storage areas do not release hydrocarbon emissions or present a hazard to the product, ingredients or product packaging materials. How do I interpret that? What kind of vehicles are allowed in the specific areas? Also, what is the risk of using the gas powered forklifts?

Thanks.

ctzinck

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 110 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:43 AM

we are SQF level 2 and we use our forklifts in production all the time, they are electric. 

JPO

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 66 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:10 PM

BRC Issue 7 (and previously, FSSC 22000) certified plant here.  We use electric forklifts in our production areas all the time.  The production forklifts are segregated from the warehouse forklifts.  Basically the same system as a captive shoe/uniform required area.  The production area has two forklifts (one for the manufacturing side, one for the packaging side) and they stay within an area that is segregated by lines on the floor.  They get their wheels sanitized/disinfected every week.  

Deliveries from the warehouse to the production space are via warehouse forklift and warehouse racking.  Warehouse forklift stacks materials in the racking from the warehouse side, the production forklift pulls it off the opposite side for use in the production area.  

It's an attempt at separating the forklifts that enter and exit trailers and those used in manufacturing.  

BTW, there are a few GFSI standards (perhaps all??) that require electric only forklifts in food handling and storage areas (no internal combustion).

Thanked by 1 Member:

dv8dawn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• Kuwait
    Kuwait

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:14 PM

Have a look on below link.... :smile:

http://www.ifsqn.com...iven-forklifts/

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:12 PM

IF your folks have pencil/pen holders on their forklifts, you may want to check them for candy/gum wrappers.  They are a lovely hidey hole for things....our consultant pointed that out to me.   :blink:

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

clbernard

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:02 PM

Additionally all forklifts should be checked at several times throughout the day for potential hazards such as leaks of the hydraulic fluid that can transfer to the product or packaging or broken glass or taped repairs or dirt in the foot well or torn seating that accumulates dirt; basically view the forklift as another piece of equipment with an operator in your processing area and look for the same hazards that occur on any line.

Dan_Gerzone

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:27 PM

Just an idea.....We've secured small stainless steel baskets on our electric forkliftsto hold portable hand sanitizer bottles. The driver can now sanitize his hands when entering the room, and not have to stop, get off the forklift, walk over the wall mounted sanitizer, then get back on the lift to enter.

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:02 PM

Just an idea.....We've secured small stainless steel baskets on our electric forkliftsto hold portable hand sanitizer bottles. The driver can now sanitize his hands when entering the room, and not have to stop, get off the forklift, walk over the wall mounted sanitizer, then get back on the lift to enter.

Good idea.  It will probably keep your forklift steering wheel cleaner too.  I do weekly ATP swabs to monitor cleanliness of the facility, and that forklift steering wheel is always in need of cleaning. 

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:26 AM

Interesting about the sanitizer, what is the value of this exactly?  Are they using sanitizer in place of washing, drying and sanitizing their hands?

Seems like a waste of money if that is the case.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Lissa77

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:09 PM

A forklift certification is required by the Labor Occupational Safety and Health Organization (OSHA) law to operate forklifts. If you want to join the heavy duty industry as a forklift driver, you will be asked to get a forklift license NJ before start working.

Thanks

-------------------------------------

Forklift Certification nj

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:01 PM

Basically, the impact on forklifts in packaging and food companies is normally about flume off.

Last year I told three new clients to stop using propane lifts in their facility - 1 listened and stopped. The other two did not.

1 had no issue on their audit - the others took hits from dropped them out of excellent.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

mrhinestone

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 November 2023 - 03:42 PM

We have a few gas lifts left.  We do an annual air quality emissions testing.   Our SQF auditor told us this year that for gas lifts over 5 years old:  each lift must have their CO output tested annually.   Is this correct?  Is this written somewhere in GFSI standards?

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 November 2023 - 04:19 PM

This is a BS statement by an Auditor.  Report it to your CB and that way they will make sure he/she discontinue such things. 

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Thanked by 1 Member:

mrhinestone

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 November 2023 - 04:21 PM

Thank you!  That was the first I have heard of it and I couldn't find anything in writing.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Forklifts, SQF 13.6.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users