• Quick Navigation
Photo

State-funded Employee Training - Suggestions?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, cycling, writing, camping, knitting, movies, music, family + pets, trying to play the guitar

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:06 PM

Hi everyone,

We are applying for and will most likely receive state funding for employee training.

We have about 40% of our workforce who has already gone through HACCP training from NSF and we'd like to use these funds for another round so everybody can benefit from the training.

BUT, that will not "spend" all of our allotment per person on this training. Does anyone have any other food/food safety-related, 3rd party, on-site group training they have found beneficial?

Thank you!

~Emily~

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the darkest of places if you look at it right. -Grateful Dead

gfdoucette07

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 112 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food safety, QA, sharing my knowledge. Farming, growing, life

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:48 PM

Good day Emily

My first thought would be if anyone does like GMP or sanitation training, our Ecolab people used to do a great cross contamination training with the black light jell.  Another may be anything around food/site security.

Cool that you got state $ for this do you mind if I ask what chain you went through to apply or is it a MI thing?

Have a great day

G

Thanked by 1 Member:

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, cycling, writing, camping, knitting, movies, music, family + pets, trying to play the guitar

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:07 PM

Thanks, G - those are some good ideas. I will throw them in the mix during our brainstorming session later today.

It's a MI thing, as far as I know. We have a non-profit called Michigan Works that started out focusing on the manufacturing sector, securing training and jobs for displaced workers from that sector. At my previous job, we used them to find new employees and they were generally more reliable than those individuals we found through temp agencies. Now, they're opening up a bit and the guy we work with works exclusively with food-related companies in the area.

I've reached out to my contact to see if he's aware of similar programs in other states and will let you know what I find out.

Thanks, again, G!

If anyone has any additional ideas, I'd love to hear them. My brain can't seem to get off the basic HACCP-type stuff which is definitely important but if we can come up with more than one training session, we can start with the basics and move forward to more of the in-depth stuff like G came up with, food security, etc.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the darkest of places if you look at it right. -Grateful Dead

3esa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:30 PM

CPR emergency first responders

pesticide

cleaning and sanitation, GMPs

if you have special equipment, you can do those also, such as a sterilizer or metal detector.  Mettler Toledo does trainings for their metal detectors.

Thanked by 1 Member:

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:32 PM

Thanks a bunch, 3esa! We don't really have specialized equipment but I might be able to build off of what you've said. 

Thank you!

gfdoucette07

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 112 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:38 PM

3esa great idea for 1st aid/CPR as a EMT love the idea!

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:29 PM

For G and any others out there not in Michigan who are interested in state-funded training. I received the following reply from my contact:

As far as I know there are no other Skilled Trades Training Funds in other states but the easiest way for your colleague in MN to find out is to visit his local One-Stop or their version of Michigan Works! Another option is to get in touch with either a local economic developer in his region or at the state level. I would have him start at the local level first and that should get him the information he needs.

I hope this helps! 

~Emily~

Thanked by 1 Member:

brianweber

Brian

• IFSQN Senior
  • 293 posts
  • 114 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cheese, Coffee, Golf, Scrabble, Food Safety, HACCP, BBQing

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:37 PM

Buy a defibrillator and get CPR training.

Brian

Thanked by 1 Member:

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:39 PM

Thanks, brianweber!

Thanked by 1 Member:

gfdoucette07

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 112 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:53 PM

Thanks Em' you're the best

Mulan1010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 249 posts
  • 139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:33 PM

The above mentioned topics are great.  I would also suggest Root Cause Analysis Training and How to Clean and Disinfect After a Possible Bloodborne Pathogen Incident Training.

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:38 PM

The above mentioned topics are great.  I would also suggest Root Cause Analysis Training and How to Clean and Disinfect After a Possible Bloodborne Pathogen Incident Training.

Thank you, Lee Ann.

The class/training has to be for hard skills rather than soft skills and management has expressed the desire to have any training revolve around food safety. Your second suggestion can definitely play into food safety in the event we have a significant occupational safety issue occur.

Thank you for the additions - I've got something to add to the list!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users