• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:49 PM

Good morning,

Just have one question don't know if anyone can help answer it. Our company would like to shoot for level 2 and just skip level 1. But we're a company that has two facilities, in one we produce concentrated batches and in the second we blend and package it. Now my question would be do we have to get both building certified or can we just get one building certified.

All your opinions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:08 PM

Hi,

Not sure if I'll help much but anyhow... I think it's possible to have your both buildings certified as one. However, you need to know what category you are falling into.

Once you have figured out which category you fall into, then I assume you will have to have 2 SQF practitioners. One for each building and each will be monitoring and controlling according to the specific requirements.

You could also ask your "CB auditor" as to what he/she thinks. You might need to do some hunting as auditors are different from one to the other. Of course, price will play a role in there as well

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:14 PM

If they are two separate facilities and have distinct products, processes and I guess management I would expect they would need to have their own functioning site specific Food Safety Management System and be audited and certified separately.  I could be wrong. :dunno:

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:38 PM

Take a close look at the SQF requirements for contract manufacturers. You could have your one facility that does the final work certified but and call the other a contract MFG, there are requirements such as following all the same SQF requirements,etc. as the one that is getting certified.  So in effect both set up an SQF FSMS system and one gets certified. What we see however is that many times the one that was odd out eventually gets certified too.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Kellio

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:20 PM

If you are a first timer for SQF you must consider a Desktop Audit prior to a SQF Audit System with a CB SQF consultant. It is going to cost you but it is worth it so it can clear your questions prior to a full audit.

For what I am reading you may not qualify for level 1. You probably qualify for level 2 and above. It always depends on your products and what category you fall into.

The rule of thumb, if you have 2 haccp plans for 2 deferent sites, you need to certify separate.

I hope this helps, I am not an expert but I can share my experiences with SQF.

Regards,

Kellio

Thanked by 1 Member:

amppyr

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:35 PM

Read through Module 16 (multi-facilities) of the SQF code. Depending on your audit schedule and your comfort level with the processes you may want to do one audit for both or two individual audits for each facility.

Ask your CB for advise.

Thanks.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users