Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:50 AM

Hi, I have just joined this forum and am hoping you can help me.

I am the QA Manager at a wholesale cake company. To date we have not done any formal sensory analysis on our products. We make over 100 products, some size is the only variable. Our range is fairly stable however recently several new products have been included. Can anyone tell me what  the minimum requirement for sensory analysis is to attain SQF 3. I am hoping to start with a basic program and improve over time.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

gfdoucette07

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 112 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food safety, QA, sharing my knowledge. Farming, growing, life

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:08 PM

Kate

Well in a fluid milk manufacturing plant we took daily sample and aged samples (at various points through shelf life) and looked at smell, viscosity, color, and taste.  Mainly looking at variations from day to day, after a few weeks of looking at the same products you get a good feel for what should and should not be.  We also did a simple training on what bitter, sweet. salty, sour. is (I think we just added common ingredients to tap water at various ratios).  Same in a Yogurt plant they had, each day they would test yesterday's samples.

Someone may have a better idea/explanation but that may get you started.

G

Thanked by 1 Member:

ganderson64

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 45 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:18 PM

What you are referring to is 'orgaonleptic' testing. We manufacture wheat and sugar based inclusions for the baking industry and achieved SQF L3 certification in May.

Our program consists of an agreed upon standard and the testing covers size, color and taste in comparison to the standard. Smell or odor and texture would be other attributes that could fall into this type of testing.

The standard is agreed upon by the head of marketing and business development and a trained member of the QA staff. The training of the staff member must be documented and should be conducted by someone who can be considered a subject matter expert on how your end product should be perceived by sight, taste, smell, feel, texture etc...

Hope this helps.

Thanked by 1 Member:

katecass

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:34 AM

Thank you for helping me.

My problem is that we make on average 30 different cakes per day in batches of 50 -2000 depending on the type of cake. How would I set up a testing program?

​

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users