• IFSQN Member
  • 89 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:13 AM

Hi, 

We are in manufacturing of Indian sweet/ dessert  product like Halwa, Malai and etc.,

At present, We are using the following sweetener in our Indian sweet items

– Stevia,
– Erythritol and
– Blue Agave Nectar

We want to know, whether enlisted sweetener is approved  by codex or local indian regulation  to use in sweet / dessert. If yes,  May  I know the permissible limit for the same. 

Secondly, Is there any other sweetener can be used in place of the enlisted one. 

Pls help me on this regard .

Regards,

Baskaran.G. 

SUSHIL

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 162 posts
  • 225 thanks
Good

• India
    India

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:14 PM

Hello Baskaran.G. ,

As per the FOOD SAFETY AND STANDARDS (FOOD PRODUCTS STANDARDS AND FOOD ADDITIVES) REGULATIONS, 2011 of india FSSAI ,and

Table 2 List of Food Additives for use in Foods as per Appendix A : List of Food Additives please note that only certain artificial sweeteners are allowed in--

Sweets (Carbohydrates based and Milk product based):- Halwa, Mysore Pak,Boondi Ladoo, Jalebi, Khoya Burfi, Peda,Gulab Jamun, Rasogolla and Similar milk product based sweets sold by any name,

Arificial sweeteners (all singly)----   Aspertame - 200 ppm max, Acesulphame K - 500 ppm max,Saccharin Sodium - 500 ppm max,Sucralose - 750 ppm max and

Polyols (singly or in combination) like Sorbitol,Manitol,Xylitol,Isomalt,Lactitol,Maltitol as per GMP .

Please download the copy of www.fssai.gov.in/Portals/0/Pdf/Food%20safety%20and%20standards%28%20Food%20product%20standards%20and%20food%20additives%29%20regulation,%202011%20%28part%20II%29.pdf and read from the internet.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Baskaran Gangadharan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 89 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:56 AM

Hi Sushil, 

Thanks for sharing the details.  

Our Major concern is that since we use Stevia, Erythritol and Blue Agave Nectar , which are not mentioned in guidelines. 

Are they not recognized or identified and hence can't be used at all ?. Request you to kindly clarify. 

Regards,

Baskaran.G.

Vinit

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:36 AM

Hi Sushil, 

Thanks for sharing the details.  

Our Major concern is that since we use Stevia, Erythritol and Blue Agave Nectar , which are not mentioned in guidelines. 

Are they not recognized or identified and hence can't be used at all ?. Request you to kindly clarify. 

Regards,

Baskaran.G.

Hi Baskaran,

Artificial sweeteners are regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as food additives. They must be reviewed and approved by the FDA before being made available for sale.

The FDA has also established an acceptable daily intake (ADI) for each artificial sweetener. This is the maximum amount considered safe to consume each day over the course of your lifetime. ADIs are intended to be about 100 times less than the smallest amount that might cause health concerns.

Erythrithol-Sugar alcohol- eryth. are CHO (Erythrithol-0.2 calories/grm) The reason that sugar alcohols provide fewer calories than sugar is because they are not completed absorbed in our body. For this reason, high intakes of foods containing some sugar alcohols can lead to abdominal gas and diarrhea. Any foods that contain sorbitol or mannitol must include a warning on their label that "excess consumption may have a laxative effect." The American Dietetic Association advises that intakes greater than 50 grams/day of sorbitol or greater than 20 grams/day of mannitol may cause diarrhea.

Stevia-Novel sweetener- Novel sweeteners are combinations of various types of sweeteners. Novel sweeteners, such as stevia, are hard to fit into one particular category because of what they're made from and how they're made. Note that although the FDA has approved highly refined stevia preparations as a novel sweetener, it has not approved whole-leaf stevia or crude stevia extracts for this use

Agave Nectar-Natural sugar-

Pls tell me why you are using in sweets  

http://www.medicinen...eners/page3.htm

http://www.mayoclini...t-20046936?pg=1

Baskaran Gangadharan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 89 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:55 AM

HiVinit  

Thanks for sharing the detailed information. 

The reason we use those sweetener in short to get desired outcome of the desserts ( Texture, and sensation). 

Pls  kindly help me in understand approval status on the said sweetener, When I googled  found that both Erythritol and Stevia have been approved by FSSAI ( Pls correct me if my understanding is wrong), where in the case of Agave Nectar, There is communication or document or legal reference found to understand the current status. 

Kindly advice whether those sweetener approved to use in  desserts. 

Regards,

Baskaran.G.

Vinit

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:40 PM

HiVinit  

Thanks for sharing the detailed information. 

The reason we use those sweetener in short to get desired outcome of the desserts ( Texture, and sensation). 

Pls  kindly help me in understand approval status on the said sweetener, When I googled  found that both Erythritol and Stevia have been approved by FSSAI ( Pls correct me if my understanding is wrong), where in the case of Agave Nectar, There is communication or document or legal reference found to understand the current status. 

Kindly advice whether those sweetener approved to use in  desserts. 

Regards,

Baskaran.G.

Hi..

Agave nectar (or syrup) from the agave plant is commonly used by diabetics and health foodies as an alternative sweetener. It is 90% fructose, making it sweeter than table sugar, so less of it is needed. Its use comes with some caution, however: Fructose can elevate triglycerides and triggermetabolic syndrome. So if you already have high triglycerides or other risks of heart disease 

The agave plant comes in many varieties which are indigenous to Mexico. The blue agave plant is what tequila is made from. The least manipulated commercial form of agave nectar is made from extracts of the Salmiana agave plant, and processed with enzymes derived from the mold Aspergillus niger (a process "generally recognized as safe" by the FDA).

Pls see below link..

http://diabetes.abou...agavenectar.htm

http://www.blueagave...-labeling-laws/

AS PER FSSAI (search for nectar) 

http://www.fssai.gov..._23_07_2015.pdf

colbymilan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:50 AM

Thank you for sharing the details! This will really help us.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users