• Quick Navigation
Photo

Should total plate count be included as part of biological hazards?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

zene_c

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:21 AM

Good day everyone!

I work in the hotel industry and am currently revising my hazard analysis charts for ingredients.

My question is, locally we have microbiological limits for total plate count, should I then include total plate count as one of the biological hazards during hazard analysis of ingredients or should I just limit the hazard analysis to pathogens and spoilage organisms?

Thank you in advance!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:39 AM

Good day everyone!

I work in the hotel industry and am currently revising my hazard analysis charts for ingredients.

My question is, locally we have microbiological limits for total plate count, should I then include total plate count as one of the biological hazards during hazard analysis of ingredients or should I just limit the hazard analysis to pathogens and spoilage organisms?

Thank you in advance!

Hi zene-c,

total plate count / solely microbial spoilage organisms are  not classified as  biological hazards in conventional haccp/hazard analysis. The reason is that they are not regarded as directly related to the health/safety of the consumer.

However note that some species can exhibit both spoilage and pathogenic characteristics.

PS - Welcome to the Forum ! :welcome:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

zene_c

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:35 AM

Hi Charles!

Thank you for the warm welcome and for the answer to my question above.

This will really help me in my audit.

My auditor reverts back to legal requirements and wants spoilage organisms such as yeasts and molds included at the hazard analysis aside from total plate count.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:07 AM

Hi Charles!

Thank you for the warm welcome and for the answer to my question above.

This will really help me in my audit.

My auditor reverts back to legal requirements and wants spoilage organisms such as yeasts and molds included at the hazard analysis aside from total plate count.

Hi zene-c,

I think most food-related molds and yeasts are linked with spoilage only but there are (always !) exceptions, eg various species of mold produce chemical toxins like aflatoxin, some species of yeast are opportunist pathogens.

But the purely spoilage varieties should not be of safety-haccp interest. (the only exception might be if, for some unknown reason, there is a local regulatory requirement for this inclusion).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

zene_c

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:32 AM

Thanks Charles!

Just a follow up question on the above, for food colors and additives, is there any biological hazard that has to be considered?

There is no local regulatory standard for such, I reasoned with my auditor that this is added in very small portions prior to baking and additives are even used to extend shelf life but auditor insisted this should be considered during hazard analysis for possible biological hazards.

really appreciate the help! :spoton:

kind regards,

zene

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:26 AM

Hi zene-c,

IMEX there usually are local regulations regarding permitted food colours and additives.

I assume the items mentioned will be ingredients in finished product.

Yr auditor is correct. HACCP typically requires a BCPA risk assessment for all inputs to the product (A=allergen).

IMEX the usual, minimal, HACCP requirement for items such as you mention is that (a) added ingredients should be sourced from an Approved Supplier, (b)  validated as Food Grade with respect to BCP characteristics and  (c) received in undamaged/untampered condition. Validation is typically via agreed Supplier/Receiver Specification / COA / MSDS.

Some FS Standards have much more detailed requirements than the above.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

zene_c

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:02 AM

Thanks Charles!

Inputs above have been of a big help. :spoton:

For regulations, as only limits for usage exist locally but none for biological hazards, we required COAs and registration certificates with the local regulatory agency from our supplier instead. the brand we chose was also an internationally recognized one and the supplier audited.

hopefully, this would comply with the audit's requirements.

kind regards,

zene

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users