• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:30 AM

Hi Everyone!    :biggrin:

I recently joined a small company selling fresh-cut fruits in cup. This is  a totally new company just managed to get the ISO22000 recently, and I am employed to set up the QA and QC in this company.

We only do visual check on the incoming fruits and in-process control to make sure contamination doesn't occur. 

Can anyone advice any other QC test can be done? Is it necessary to have records for each QC test (include visual inspection)?

If yes, can anyone provide template for the QC result? 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:16 AM

Hi Everyone!    :biggrin:

I recently joined a small company selling fresh-cut fruits in cup. This is  a totally new company just managed to get the ISO22000 recently, and I am employed to set up the QA and QC in this company.

We only do visual check on the incoming fruits and in-process control to make sure contamination doesn't occur. 

Can anyone advice any other QC test can be done? Is it necessary to have records for each QC test (include visual inspection)?

If yes, can anyone provide template for the QC result? 

Hi Pei Xuan,

Welcome to the  Forum ! :welcome:

It's quite a wide query and the answer may relate to the specific fruits and the process involved.

Can you clarify a couple of points -

I am puzzled how you can be certified to iso22000 without having a QC/QA function since the Standard requires a detailed haccp plan, haccp team etc. ?

And may i ask regarding yr technical  background, eg are you familiar with developing haccp plans ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Pei Xuan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:50 AM

Hi Pei Xuan,

Welcome to the  Forum ! :welcome:

It's quite a wide query and the answer may relate to the specific fruits and the process involved.

Can you clarify a couple of points -

I am puzzled how you can be certified to iso22000 without having a QC/QA function since the Standard requires a detailed haccp plan, haccp team etc. ?

And may i ask regarding yr technical  background, eg are you familiar with developing haccp plans ?

Hi Clarles. Thank you for your reply!

We hired a consultant to help us with the documentation in applying ISO22000 and they have done the HACCP plan for us. And the consultant tell us that QC records and rejection criteria is not necessary to be included in ISO22000? 

Yup I have the technical background for HACCP but I'm not very sure about the requirement for record keeping. Because all the inspection was done visually and very subjective since we are handling fruits, which varies batch to batch. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:41 AM

Hi Clarles. Thank you for your reply!

We hired a consultant to help us with the documentation in applying ISO22000 and they have done the HACCP plan for us. And the consultant tell us that QC records and rejection criteria is not necessary to be included in ISO22000? 

Yup I have the technical background for HACCP but I'm not very sure about the requirement for record keeping. Because all the inspection was done visually and very subjective since we are handling fruits, which varies batch to batch. 

Hi Pei Xuan,

It is not possible to maintain an ISO (or any other)  FSMS system without records and acceptance criteria. I think yr consultant was joking.

The QC tests/records required will relate to the requirements of the standard.  For example validating/verifying any CCPs, verifying PRPs, verifying the overall haccp system, etc

Just as an example the (non-iso) haccp plan of a simpler fruit process (receiving/packing/storing/despatch) is attached here -

http://www.ifsqn.com...les/#entry52698

Perhaps you could briefly describe yr process/flowchart and note any CCPs/OPRPs ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

ahmedmourad

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 93 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:53 PM

Hello Pei Xuan

IM was working QA for asimilar industry producing fresh cut fruit ,please can you provide me some details on your finished product spes and customer needs for the finished tray  so that i can help you

Best Wishes

Ahmed

Thanked by 1 Member:

RuiM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:23 PM

Some fruits are very perishable... at least analyse Temperature vs impact injury in your product. (records are a must)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Pei Xuan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:28 AM

Hi Pei Xuan,

It is not possible to maintain an ISO (or any other)  FSMS system without records and acceptance criteria. I think yr consultant was joking.

The QC tests/records required will relate to the requirements of the standard.  For example validating/verifying any CCPs, verifying PRPs, verifying the overall haccp system, etc

Just as an example the (non-iso) haccp plan of a simpler fruit process (receiving/packing/storing/despatch) is attached here -

http://www.ifsqn.com...les/#entry52698

Perhaps you could briefly describe yr process/flowchart and note any CCPs/OPRPs ?

Thanks for your help Charles.

Our processing flow is very simple, actually it is just receiving of raw fruits -> ambient storage -> washing -> peeling and cutting -> packing into cups -> Sealing -> chiller storage -> delivery

CCPs only include chiller storage and truck temperature control

OPRP include the knife and blade monitoring records to prevent metal contamination

is this enough?

Pei Xuan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:40 AM

Hello Pei Xuan

IM was working QA for asimilar industry producing fresh cut fruit ,please can you provide me some details on your finished product spes and customer needs for the finished tray  so that i can help you

Best Wishes

Ahmed

Hi Ahmed,

Our finished product is fresh cut fruits (watermelon, honeydew, papaya, and some other seasonal fruits) packed in plastic cup with 3 days shelf life. 

I wonder do we required to do any sensory test or texture analysis on the finished product?

Pei Xuan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:44 AM

Some fruits are very perishable... at least analyse Temperature vs impact injury in your product. (records are a must)

Hi RuiM,

Do you mean for the imcoming raw fruits?

I will try to prepare a document to record this! Thank you!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:06 AM

Hi Pei Xuan,

Thks yr info from which i extract -

CCPs only include (1) chiller storage and (2) truck temperature control

OPRP include the (3) knife and blade monitoring records to prevent metal contamination

I expect you are aware that cantaloupe / melons have a history of FS events, eg –

Attached File  fresh cut canteloupe.pdf   96.48KB   66 downloads

Attached File  FS guidelines for the melon supply chain.pdf   237.07KB   53 downloads

You  might find this detailed (traditional) haccp plan for fresh produce (not specifically melon) of interest with its 4 CCPs although afaik the US- IFPA classical version (unspecified flowchart) only uses CCPs equivalent to the 1st/2nd, and last. From memory the USFDA avoids recommending specific haccp classifiers for temperature factors.

http://www.inspectio...10?chap=4#s10c4

The specific results for yr own process will inevitably depend on yr own risk assessment / ccp-oprp classification methodology.

Assuming use of iso22002-1, storage temperatures, knife-blade control seem more likely to be PRPs. But maybe debatable. (I note iso22002-1 also includes metal detectors !)

I am surprised you have omitted the washing step as a significant hazard. Seems to be typical for such processes. I think most processors include a sanitizer at this/related step and control the level ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

ahmedmourad

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 93 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:52 AM

Hello:

you should do sensory test for the products at start and end of life as your product short shelf life will not be helpful microbiologically assessment before release.

the sensory will include tasting assessment ,brix,flavor , texture and if your customer requirement such as presentation ,chunks or wedges sizes and quality of the fruits it self such as absence of seeds ...etc if required.

you may include the date coding assessment as well as print and the packing .

during processing you should have quality control inspections to insure every product is processed according to the spec.

before processing you should have quality measures to insures only qulity fruits will be processed

in the intake you should have intake quality control to insure that the raw fruits intake according to specs.

you should have specs for the raw materials as well as the finished product .

Best Wishes

Ahmed

RuiM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:34 PM

Hi RuiM,

Do you mean for the imcoming raw fruits?

I will try to prepare a document to record this! Thank you!

I believe fresh fruit should be keep within their optimal ranges of temperature and relativy humidity to garantee their quality and minimizing losses.
Wrong temperature will accelerates deterioration and the rate of loss in nutricional qualiy could be significant.

Some general points in mind... (not with any specific order or obligation)

- Checking product maturity, quality, and temperature upon arrival at the processing plant (avoid sun exposure)

- Implementing an effective sanitation program to reduce microbial issue

- Checking packaging materials and shipping containers to ensure they meet safety/quality specifications.

- Training workers on proper processing and packaging operations

- Inspecting a random sample of the packed product to ensure that it meets your grade specification

- Control/Monitoring product temperature to assure completion of the cooling process before shipment

- Inspecting all transport vehicles before loading for cleanliness

- Register/Keep all the data (Always)!

Pei Xuan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:41 AM

Hi Pei Xuan,

Thks yr info from which i extract -

I expect you are aware that cantaloupe / melons have a history of FS events, eg –

attachicon.giffresh cut canteloupe.pdf

attachicon.gifFS guidelines for the melon supply chain.pdf

You  might find this detailed (traditional) haccp plan for fresh produce (not specifically melon) of interest with its 4 CCPs although afaik the US- IFPA classical version (unspecified flowchart) only uses CCPs equivalent to the 1st/2nd, and last. From memory the USFDA avoids recommending specific haccp classifiers for temperature factors.

http://www.inspectio...10?chap=4#s10c4

The specific results for yr own process will inevitably depend on yr own risk assessment / ccp-oprp classification methodology.

Assuming use of iso22002-1, storage temperatures, knife-blade control seem more likely to be PRPs. But maybe debatable. (I note iso22002-1 also includes metal detectors !)

I am surprised you have omitted the washing step as a significant hazard. Seems to be typical for such processes. I think most processors include a sanitizer at this/related step and control the level ?

Hi Charles,

Thank you for all the infos provided, it does help a lot!

We don't have a metal detector in place currently, hence we do knife and blade control to ensure no metal contamination

For the washing step, we only do washing for the whole fruit skin and we suppose the inside is sterile if there's no cut/ wound..

We are considering to add in a washing step before packing but now we haven't implement yet..

Hello:

you should do sensory test for the products at start and end of life as your product short shelf life will not be helpful microbiologically assessment before release.

the sensory will include tasting assessment ,brix,flavor , texture and if your customer requirement such as presentation ,chunks or wedges sizes and quality of the fruits it self such as absence of seeds ...etc if required.

you may include the date coding assessment as well as print and the packing .

during processing you should have quality control inspections to insure every product is processed according to the spec.

before processing you should have quality measures to insures only qulity fruits will be processed

in the intake you should have intake quality control to insure that the raw fruits intake according to specs.

you should have specs for the raw materials as well as the finished product .

Best Wishes

Ahmed

Thanks Ahmed!

So it means after we set up raw materials and finished product specs, then for the quality check (sensory, brix, etc) we can just record as "pass/fail" right?

I believe fresh fruit should be keep within their optimal ranges of temperature and relativy humidity to garantee their quality and minimizing losses.
Wrong temperature will accelerates deterioration and the rate of loss in nutricional qualiy could be significant.

Some general points in mind... (not with any specific order or obligation)

- Checking product maturity, quality, and temperature upon arrival at the processing plant (avoid sun exposure)

- Implementing an effective sanitation program to reduce microbial issue

- Checking packaging materials and shipping containers to ensure they meet safety/quality specifications.

- Training workers on proper processing and packaging operations

- Inspecting a random sample of the packed product to ensure that it meets your grade specification

- Control/Monitoring product temperature to assure completion of the cooling process before shipment

- Inspecting all transport vehicles before loading for cleanliness

- Register/Keep all the data (Always)!

Hi RuiM, 

Yes we do have temperature records for chiller and trucks etc.

the main thing the we missed out will be the incoming raw fruits and finished product qualirt control records :(

We will work on that~

Thank you very much for your help!

ahmedmourad

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 93 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:34 AM

yes you can and you can give marks such as 1,2,3