• Quick Navigation
Photo

Corn labelling (corn starch as an additive)

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Dr Vu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 235 posts
  • 51 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Action movies...

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:48 PM

supplier uses corn starch  (Less than 2% of the sprinkled confectionary sugar.)  as an antistick agent... it equals to 2g/100g of product

should this be on a label as containing corn ?

this is for the Canadain and US market.

A vu in time , saves nine

brianweber

Brian

• IFSQN Senior
  • 293 posts
  • 114 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cheese, Coffee, Golf, Scrabble, Food Safety, HACCP, BBQing

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:04 PM

In my opinion yes, it does need to be listed. This may be of some help for you here.

Brian

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:07 AM

Yes it must...on what basis do you think it should not?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Dr Vu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 235 posts
  • 51 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Action movies...

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:00 AM

Thanks brianweber and Simon
This just came to me for review..the supplier 'claims' it's a processing aid and wasn't declaring it .they use it as an anti stick agent in the dried fruits like papaya and mangoes. I was just curious to get some of the groups input before I send them my review.none of the competitors ( even though they buy from same supplier) do declare the corn starch though... Or it's just maybe they didn't bother to challenge the supplier....

A vu in time , saves nine

QATX12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:05 PM

FDA Sec. 101.100 Food; exemptions from labeling.

incidental additives that are present in a food at insignificant levels and do not have any technical or functional effect in that food. For the purposes of this paragraph  

(a)(3), incidental additives are:

(i) Substances that have no technical or functional effect but are present in a food by reason of having been incorporated into the food as an ingredient of another food, in which the substance did have a functional or technical effect.

(ii) Processing aids, which are as follows:

(a ) Substances that are added to a food during the processing of such food but are removed in some manner from the food before it is packaged in its finished form.

(b ) Substances that are added to a food during processing, are converted into constituents normally present in the food, and do not significantly increase the amount of the constitutents naturally found in the food.

(c ) Substances that are added to a food for their technical or functional effect in the processing but are present in the finished food at insignificant levels and do not have any technical or functional effect in that food.

See: http://www.accessdat....cfm?fr=101.100

Corn starch isn't a "Top 8" allergen defined by FDA, therefore does not fall under the allergen declaration regs, corn starch can be considered a processing aid and thus not need to be declared on label if it is present at insignificant levels and does not have any technical or functional effect in the finished product.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users