• Quick Navigation
Photo

Are recycled packaging materials ok for fresh fruit packing?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Yertty

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Chile
    Chile

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:59 PM

Hi everybody!, I'm having some questions about  risk assessment of suppliers.

I work in a fresh fruit packing/cold storage facility. Is it OK to have suppliers that make their products using recyled paper?

Any comment is appreciated!

Yertty

Dr.Khan

DR

• IFSQN Senior
  • 314 posts
  • 132 thanks
Excellent

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Food, Reading technical information,provding technical help in QA,R&D,staff Training, products and processes optimisation, watching documentaries and making presentations
    AM available as consultant in Quality Assurance, Product & process development/ optimisation, staff training and trouble shooting in complex manufacturing Environment

Cal me on +61411588329 to discuss your requirements.

Am available for International Assignments

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:28 PM

Hi Yertty

Yes it is fine as the process of making packaging from recycled paper is not a straight forward. The process involves segregation of clean paper, reprocessing it by deinking and dissolving paper and then producing the solid paper by the same may as new paper is made.

So although recycled paper was used as a raw material it has gone through the bacteria  kill process and it is as good as the new paper.

Kind regards

Dr. Humaid Khan

MD

Halal International Services 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:15 AM

Hi everybody!, I'm having some questions about  risk assessment of suppliers.

I work in a fresh fruit packing/cold storage facility. Is it OK to have suppliers that make their products using recyled paper?

Any comment is appreciated!

Yertty

I assume the query is a FS one.

I assume the packaging is in contact with the fruit.

Probably yes if  relevant packaging is (a) not local regulatory/contractually blocked, (b) approved as suitable for food contact under intended usage conditions, ie food grade.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Yertty

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Chile
    Chile

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:12 PM

Thanks Dr. Humaid Khan and Charles.C

I'm clear with microbiological hazard!.. but now I'm thinking about chemical hazard, how i'm supposed to know if packaging material made from recycled paper is 100% safe?

I have another question:

(3.5.1.2 BRC issue 7)...how can I solve the problem of having A LOT of suppliers without GFSI certification?. What happen if after I audit them, the results are that they don't fulfil the requirements I needed?....Is it right to say that i'm going to audit more often to solve a NC made about this clause?,

Hope you understand what I'm talking about...written english is not one of my strengths...

Thanks again!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:30 PM

Hi Yertty,

Thanks Dr. Humaid Khan and Charles.C

I'm clear with microbiological hazard!.. but now I'm thinking about chemical hazard, how i'm supposed to know if packaging material made from recycled paper is 100% safe?

The chemical  "characteristics" will normally be acceptability tested / included within the product being classified as  "Food Grade".

I have another question:

(3.5.1.2 BRC issue 7)...how can I solve the problem of having A LOT of suppliers without GFSI certification?. What happen if after I audit them, the results are that they don't fulfil the requirements I needed?....Is it right to say that i'm going to audit more often to solve a NC made about this clause?,

The objective is that suppliers will upgrade by making appropriate corrections so that future audits may eventually be decreased in frequency.

Hope you understand what I'm talking about...written english is not one of my strengths...

English is fine.

Thanks again!

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

TAN85

Grade - AIFSQN

• 43 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Zambia
    Zambia

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:32 AM

Hi Yerrty, 

your audits should already take into consideration any potential chemical contaminants, including ink used (if any) for printing on packages etc. Some regulatory standards stipulate that only food grade ink can be used on food packaging. 

For my supplier audits (none of mine are certified, however have to meet my field/food safety requirements),I have a low/medium/high risk classification for both the supplier & their product. I then calculate the risk based on what areas are NC and reclassify. This then requires corrective action on my part. This can range from placing the supplier on hold for high risk issues until they have dealt with the issue, to more frequent product testing (conducted by either myself or them), etc.  As long as there is a corrective action in place to mitigate any risk involved, it should be acceptable. Also, it is a good idea to keep agreed timelines in which the issue should be resolved.

It's tricky to try to maintain the supplier relationship while still keeping standards, but the ones that want to continue business will be happy to make improvements. 

I hope this helps

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.."

Thanked by 1 Member:

Yertty

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Chile
    Chile

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:42 AM

Thanks TAN85, your post was really helpful!!!

TAN85

Grade - AIFSQN

• 43 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Zambia
    Zambia

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:00 PM

Pleasure,glad to have been of some assistance :) good luck and dont stop asking

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.."

herdy

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:14 PM

You should be able to find a food grade, certified manufacturer of paper products (I know because I am one :smile: ). We are a level 3 SQF paper tray/plate/cup/etc manufacturer of only thermoformed paper products. Many of our suppliers use recycled materials. The recycling processes undergone by the materials do not cause problems for our certifications (SQF and Kosher). Hopefully, you will be able to find one but if you can't, you can always help guide them to certifications- it should really open up a lot of doors for them.  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users