• IFSQN Member
  • 217 posts
  • 65 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:48 PM

Hello,

I am hoping maybe someone out there has been down this road already and can help me out.

We are a VERY small company (2 owners and 3 employees total), and we have a VERY simple operation where we bring in only ONE raw ingredient, ONE packaging material, and produce TWO very similar, yet distinct products.

We are looking for a free app (there are tons of warehouse/inventory apps out there for free...one of them has to work for what we need, right?) that will do the following:

- After we've finished production, we'll either be putting the product in a bulk bin (for bulk shipping) or into bulk totes (supersacks) of roughly 1 ton each.  We want the flexibility to enter the production run as either one bulk entry with lot number, or split it into each supersack by lot number, but with specific weight and bag number for each supersack.

- We want to be able to print some sort of scannable label (one for a bulk lot; one for each supersack for a bagged lot)

- We want to be able to scan supersacks as we load them onto semi trucks, and have it compile into a complete list of each sack on the truck, complete with product ID, lot number, and bag number, which can then export to Excel or some other database

- We want to be able to scan and choose options (receive, move inventory, ship, rework, etc.) for each supersack or bulk lot

Any suggestions on where to start?  Obviously, we could have an ERP-type program made custom for us, but we are a start-up and have VERY little capital available for software and equipment...so we're looking for something free that's Windows-based (for our production tablets) and, as a bonus, able to be used with our Android smartphones as well (though that is not a deal-breaker).

Any thoughts/help/ideas you have are more than welcome...thanks!

Brian

jems

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:10 PM

I was looking for something similar for the company I'm working at. From the days and hours or searching on google and on forums, I can say that there is no such product for free, or even for cheap.

Maybe there is some way of programming for the windows tablet to use the camera as a scanner, and input directly in excel of google spreadsheet. But making it look nice and professional like is another story.

If you do find a solution I would be glad to know which one.

Thanked by 1 Member:

dandy0215

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:55 AM

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're looking for, I think there are quite a few options out there.  

Check out the following links  (I attached pictures with numbers that match the links):

1-     GOOGLE SEARCH (I typed in program to print and scan barcodes and export to excel)

https://www.google.c...5.0.jFEJXJhzQxQ

Attached File  Google search.PNG   154.46KB   2 downloads

2-     GOOGLE PLAY APPS:

https://play.google....o.scanpet&hl=en

Attached File  Google Play Apps.PNG   415.15KB   2 downloads

3-     SCANPET APP

https://domusnatura.wordpress.com/

Attached File  SCANPET.PNG   169.02KB   1 downloads

4-     SCAN TO SPREADSHEET APP

https://play.google....readsheet&hl=en

Attached File  Scan to Spreadsheet.PNG   92.18KB   2 downloads

5-     GOOGLE CHROME APPS/EXTENSIONS (you can see in the picture that there are more to choose from than what is pictured):

https://chrome.googl...me-app-launcher

Attached File  Chrome Apps.PNG   399.42KB   1 downloads

Thanked by 2 Members:

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 217 posts
  • 65 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:55 PM

Thanks Dandy, I'll check some of those out!

Jems, I will be sure to let you know if I find anything that works well.

Brian

swmalone

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:19 PM

Thanks Dandy, I'll check some of those out!

Jems, I will be sure to let you know if I find anything that works well.

Brian

I know it has been a while since this thread was active but I wanted to follow up and see if you came up with a system that works for you?  I am working on something for a client and trying to get a reasonably priced solution in place.  At the moment it is all hard copy records that a mess, we are trying to put together some spreadsheets to assist with traceability but even this has been an issue.  

Thanks in advance.

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 217 posts
  • 65 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:23 PM

Unfortunately, swmalone, we haven't found anything.  I finally just gave up.  We're just going to have to use Excel spreadsheets, I guess.

Thanked by 1 Member:

trickster245

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:18 AM

I know you weren't looking for a paid program but whilst searching through these forums for one found this one at a decent price of 300 a year.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:01 AM

I know you weren't looking for a paid program but whilst searching through these forums for one found this one at a decent price of 300 a year.

This one ? Which one ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

trickster245

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:22 PM

Jorge Manzanero

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 25 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:56 PM

Hi I have had success using Microsoft Inventory Access Templates. You can also change designs in them.

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 217 posts
  • 65 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 September 2018 - 06:09 PM

Has anyone used QuickBooks Enterprise Platinum?

I have been checking it out today - it's about $369/month for 3 users, which is reasonable.  The interface looks very intuitive and user-friendly...and the pieces I've played with so far seem promising.

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has used it (or any version of Enterprise), and can tell me the pros and cons you've discovered?

Thanks!

Brian

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:56 PM

Unfortunately it wasn't my experience but my SO (also does QA in food). Worked at a small plant at about 20 employees and 4mil in business and said quickbooks did surprisingly well for that application. The lot tracking is still the biggest missing portion without a full ERP however, which is the piece I think you want the most.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 217 posts
  • 65 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:39 PM

Thanks FurFarmandFork!

From what I understand, the newest iteration of QuickBooks Enterprise has lot tracking built in to it now...so, if that was the only thing lacking in QuickBooks before, maybe it would be adequate now?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users