• Quick Navigation
Photo

Do we score risk rating before or after selecting control measures?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

LALAHS

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:35 AM

Dear all

Here is my doubt

Shall i analyse the RPN scores after deciding the control measures or Shall i do it prior to deciding the control measures? 

if i consider the control measure to analyse the RPN the occurrence will be reduced but if i don't consider the control measures the occurrence will be higher.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:59 PM

Dear all

Here is my doubt

Shall i analyse the RPN scores after deciding the control measures or Shall i do it prior to deciding the control measures? 

if i consider the control measure to analyse the RPN the occurrence will be reduced but if i don't consider the control measures the occurrence will be higher.

Hi sh,

In fact a variety of permutations are in use for certain applications/objectives.

It may likely depend on what you are talking about, ie some context is required.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,830 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:37 PM

I would say take your hazard:

1. Decide likelihood x severity to determine risk rating/how significant the hazard

2. Then determine necessary control measures

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:31 PM

Hi Simon,

RPN = A x B x C

Typically used in FMEA albeit cud be used in haccp

Also popular in automotive related risk asssessment where score can be made before and after implementation control measure.

http://www.isixsigma...fects-analysis/

Also suggested by BRC to be used in Vulnerability Assessment.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 17 April 2016 - 01:49 PM

Hi,

ideally, in the very first step you have designed a process without measures. Doing you very first risk assessment you will see a lot of risk and measures to be taken to reduce the risk.

In the practical work after many years of applying HACCP and FMEA you will not start from the scratch. In any case you have to demontrate minimization of risks - you can do this by showing the situation before and after taking a measure. So you are able to make lateron changes (and you will havearguments for change back to the original if necessary/possible) which are in line with the history, especially if you modify a line/a plant. HACCP is part of the log (history)- documentation where each change and each associated assessment is listed. 

Nevertheless: At the end of the day you have to provide a most recent assessment of the running process.

Rgds

moskito

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:32 AM

Hi,

ideally, in the very first step you have designed a process without measures. Doing you very first risk assessment you will see a lot of risk and measures to be taken to reduce the risk.

In the practical work after many years of applying HACCP and FMEA you will not start from the scratch. In any case you have to demontrate minimization of risks - you can do this by showing the situation before and after taking a measure. So you are able to make lateron changes (and you will havearguments for change back to the original if necessary/possible) which are in line with the history, especially if you modify a line/a plant. HACCP is part of the log (history)- documentation where each change and each associated assessment is listed. 

Nevertheless: At the end of the day you have to provide a most recent assessment of the running process.

Rgds

moskito

Hi moskito,

Unfortunately the OP lacked context regarding intended use of RPN. Whether for haccp or FMEA = unknown.

Typically Codex / iso  haccp afaik currently assumes some control measures are in place before the hazard analysis is performed , eg customer usage. "Some" may be a question of interpretation, eg as per yr post.

FSMA's hazard analysis apparently assumes no control measures are in place prior to doing the hazard analysis. Exactly what  that means in FSMA-speak i don't  know.. Seemingly the hazard risk evaluation is referenced to a point somewhere prior to customer usage.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RPN, CONTROL MEASURES, HACCP WORK SHEET

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users