• Quick Navigation
Photo

Section 2.3.2.7, What is a label register?

Share this

Best Answer , 06 April 2016 - 05:55 PM

As RMAV stated, a register is a list.  So a label register is just that, a list of your labels.  We use an excel spread-sheet and have every label listed with a clickable link to the label proof.  Also make sure you have a column for date created/verified and by whom.  I usually verify three to five labels during my monthly inspection so I don't have to sit down and look at a long list of labels all at one time, (my eyes would get crossed and I would invariably over-look something obvious if I tried to look at them all at once).  I have heard a good idea is to make up a transparency of the label and when verifying put the transparency over the label and make sure they are the same. But I digress here and am getting the cart in front of the horse.  your label register doesn't have to be real extensive, just a list of your labels and show when you verified them.  Inventory folks should be able to be your friend with this, sure they probably have a list of the all the labels somewhere already you can shamelessly borrow from to create your register.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Big Wally

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:24 PM

Section 2.3.2.7 of SQF code requires a label register. What is a label register? Examples?

ctzinck

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 110 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:14 PM

module 2 guidance documents states:

2.3.2 Implementation Guidance

What does it mean?
This element links with 2.4.5 Incoming Goods and Services. Before an approved supplier program can be implemented, specifications must be in place for all materials that could impact product safety and quality. This relates to raw materials, ingredients, packaging materials, processing aids, additives and chemicals used within their facility including cleaning compounds. The supplier is required to keep Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and labels for all chemicals that are in use on-site.
What do I have to do?
Specifications must fully describe the materials provided. Safety-related information in raw material and ingredient specifications may include threshold levels for microbiological pathogens, factors affecting microbiological growth such as pH and water activity, threshold levels for potential chemical or physical contaminants and the presence or absence of known allergens. The extent to which these factors need to be included in the specifications will depend on the use of the material and the food safety risk to the finished product.
Quality related detail included in material specifications could include information such as color, grade, nutritional data, size, weight, type of packaging, etc. Quality requirements may be determined by customers.
A register of all raw material and packaging specifications (including finished product labels) must be kept, including a version number and date so that there is proof that specifications are updated as needed. The supplier must ensure that all relevant departments and employees have the most current information.
All raw and packaging materials must be validated to ensure hazards and risks to finished product safety and quality are identified and controlled. Raw and packaging materials should be included in the HACCP Food Safety Plan (refer 2.4.3) and Food Quality Plan (refer 2.4.4) to ensure that controls are in place to eliminate hazards or reduce them to an acceptable level.
Validation is testing over and above daily monitoring to ensure that established food safety and quality limits are effective, i.e., they achieve the desired results, so that the supplier can have confidence that the product and process are safe. Validation methods will vary depending on the risk to finished product safety. Validation for low risk materials may include certificates of analysis or certificates of conformance, provided by a trusted vendor. For high risk materials, testing and analysis is required for validation, and must be carried out annually (refer 2.5.2). For food-contact packaging material, this may include testing or assurances for potential chemical migration to the food product.
Specifications must also meet the standards set by regulation in the country of origin and the country (ies) of intended destination. This includes maximum residue levels, allergen declarations, and in particular, in-country labelling requirements (refer also 2.4.1).
All current specifications for materials that could impact food safety and quality must be included on a register (list).

Thanked by 1 Member:

RMAV

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 407 posts
  • 122 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:QA, Micro, Sanitation;
    Meats, Juice, Condiments;
    SQF, Audit, and aviation

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:49 PM

Every time you see the word "Register" in SQF, think "list."

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jus'me

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:55 PM   Best Answer

As RMAV stated, a register is a list.  So a label register is just that, a list of your labels.  We use an excel spread-sheet and have every label listed with a clickable link to the label proof.  Also make sure you have a column for date created/verified and by whom.  I usually verify three to five labels during my monthly inspection so I don't have to sit down and look at a long list of labels all at one time, (my eyes would get crossed and I would invariably over-look something obvious if I tried to look at them all at once).  I have heard a good idea is to make up a transparency of the label and when verifying put the transparency over the label and make sure they are the same. But I digress here and am getting the cart in front of the horse.  your label register doesn't have to be real extensive, just a list of your labels and show when you verified them.  Inventory folks should be able to be your friend with this, sure they probably have a list of the all the labels somewhere already you can shamelessly borrow from to create your register.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Big Wally

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:28 PM

Thank you. Is this a requierment only for our outgoing product or is this to also include all raw materials and packaging we use?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users