• IFSQN Member
  • 77 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:59 AM

Please feel free to share your thoughts, opinions, experiences below : - 

What are some of the common arguments or disagreements between chefs and QA?

What are some of the fears faced by let say, a first-timer chef who have never worked with QA before? and vice versa? 

And what are some of the main challenges a QA face when working with production/central kitchen/pastry/catering chefs? And how did you overcome it? 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:42 AM

Please feel free to share your thoughts, opinions, experiences below : - 

What are some of the common arguments or disagreements between chefs and QA?

What are some of the fears faced by let say, a first-timer chef who have never worked with QA before? and vice versa? 

And what are some of the main challenges a QA face when working with production/central kitchen/pastry/catering chefs? And how did you overcome it? 

Hi clover,

It appears Chefs abhor Gloves. A tradition in the Trade perhaps.

Not only Chefs of course.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,412 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:28 PM

While not technically a chef, gloves interfere with my knife skills.

I suppose more info would be needed to intelligently answer the question.

Are you saying that chefs generally do not abide by time/temp/sanitation requirements? If so, I would posit that they are a pretty crappy chef.

Marshall

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:35 AM

While not technically a chef, gloves interfere with my knife skills.

I suppose more info would be needed to intelligently answer the question.

Are you saying that chefs generally do not abide by time/temp/sanitation requirements? If so, I would posit that they are a pretty crappy chef.

Marshall

Hi Marshall,

No, I wasn't referring to T/t aspects.

Gloves is always a contentious topic -

http://kitchenette.j...bare-1550787860

https://www.reddit.c..._handling_food/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

clover

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 77 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:23 AM

Hi clover,

It appears Chefs abhor Gloves. A tradition in the Trade perhaps.

Not only Chefs of course.

For gloves, they think it's only necessary to wear when handling rte, food. Or if they feel like it to protect their hands from raw food. But in most cases when handling raw meat, they do not. Although I'm not sure if that's ok.

How about face/mouth mask? Would you say that's necessary for Chef's doing the cooking or does that only apply to people coming into contact with cooked, ready-to-eat food? 

clover

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 77 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:33 AM

Since I'm not getting much response here, I shall share my challenges with working with Chefs and hopefully get the ball rolling for others to share theirs too. 

Our central restaurant/kitchen is relatively new. The chefs don't have any idea or perhaps, very little idea of what this HACCP is all about. So, when they were introduced to filling up the ccp monitoring forms such as receiving form, cooking temp form, chiller,freezer temp form they were very resistant to it as they saw it as an additional work. They even at one point decided that it's the qa's job. (If anybody could give any valid or good pointers as to why it isn't or shouldn't be the qa's job please do so). Personally, I think it is the responsibility of the Chefs themselves as the food was produced under them. And unless I have a team, it won't be feasible. From my experience, qa will need to verify through occasional or random checking of the above-mentioned ccps but not do the actual monitoring.

So, would be good if someone could share how the line of responsibility is drawn between both parties and justification reasons for that. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:32 AM

Since I'm not getting much response here, I shall share my challenges with working with Chefs and hopefully get the ball rolling for others to share theirs too. 

Our central restaurant/kitchen is relatively new. The chefs don't have any idea or perhaps, very little idea of what this HACCP is all about. So, when they were introduced to filling up the ccp monitoring forms such as receiving form, cooking temp form, chiller,freezer temp form they were very resistant to it as they saw it as an additional work. They even at one point decided that it's the qa's job. (If anybody could give any valid or good pointers as to why it isn't or shouldn't be the qa's job please do so). Personally, I think it is the responsibility of the Chefs themselves as the food was produced under them. And unless I have a team, it won't be feasible. From my experience, qa will need to verify through occasional or random checking of the above-mentioned ccps but not do the actual monitoring.

So, would be good if someone could share how the line of responsibility is drawn between both parties and justification reasons for that. 

Hi clover,

i have no food kitchen experience but MEX of manufacturing production is that monitoring is shared depending on the frequency / capability requirements but with the lion's share done by Production for the reason you give.

It's certainly the function of QA if any deviations of CCP critical limits occur.

It sounds as though the "Production" (Chef?) have not yet been fully assimilated into the haccp team so regard it only as a QA function. Not so unusual but needs to be resolved. This is related to Company  Policy / Senior Management committment which i hope you have.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users