• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:06 PM

Hello!

My facility is interested in beginning production of a 70% organic ("made-with-organic...") version of our product along side our non-organic product (parallel operation). We use a salt in our non-organic product that contains YPS, a prohibited substance in organic products. We mix the salt into a slurry in a mix tank that would also be used to mix the organic slurry. To perform a change-over currently, we empty the lines & perform a water rinse of the tank & lines, followed by a rinse with oil, an then another water rinse. After speaking with a certifying agency, they said that that same change-over process would likely be okay for changing over to organic product as long as we validate it. This is where I get stuck.

Would ATP swabbing, considering the ingredients going into the tank (refined oil + others), be applicable for this situation or is there another rapid test that can be performed to ensure no prohibited substances remain for organic production?

Thank you!

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:13 PM

Hi Bailey39,

I would look to validate your changeover procedure by having the first organic product off analyzed for YPS whilst at the same time recording your ATP results & rinse setting (times/flow/volumes etc.).

This way in the future you can verify rinse is satisfactory using ATP knowing you have analysis that proves the rinse is effective. I am assuming that product residues will be detected effectively by ATP?

Also if you CIP then organic would normally be the first product off to further reduce the risk of cross-contamination.

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users