• Quick Navigation
Photo

Comments on "Implementing SQF Systems" online training course

Share this

Best Answer , 16 June 2016 - 03:32 PM

I attended SQF auditor and packaging courses and I found them very informative! Kristie and Leann from SQFI lead the auditor course, and they're great teachers. (I attended the courses SQFI offers in Chicago, because it's local for me).

Some parts of the class did seem to stretch on a bit...mostly between people asking questions regarding their specific module/category and because some people took longer to grasp certain concepts (I'm a very quick learner and sometimes that was a bit of torture). I'm new to the food industry, so I like hearing and learning about all the challenges and quirks of different food category sectors. You can also glean a lot of ideas from others and apply them to your plant, as well! The certification audit stories people had were especially useful.

I think that online vs. classroom depends on your facility's needs and your availability for travel. I took my HACCP course online, and I liked how I could just plow through it at my own (furiously fast) pace, but I missed the option of having an instructor to help explain some of the application.

Whatever you choose, I hope it works out for you!

Good luck!

-Christina

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

superchris23

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:11 PM

Hi,

We have decided to go with SQF as our scheme for certification.

I would like to have your comments on the online training offered by SQF (through Alchemy).

I'm not a big fan of online courses but not having to travel is tempting...

Thanks!

Cristian :spoton:

ctzinck

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 110 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:52 PM

First thing to do is get HACCP Certified if you havent already, I did mine thru AIB, for SQF I downloaded the free pdf of the code, studied it for a few months then when I felt certain I had a good grasp of it I took the exam without taking the online training, Saved myself $700. But if your in a hurry and want to take the online course Alchemy is a good choice. Most people I have talked to preferred going in person for training.

Online:

HACCP training was $300

SQF Course was $700.

SQF Exam was $75.

As for Alchemy, we are considering using Alchemy for all of our in house training. They seem to have a very solid platform that I was impressed with. (They are also a reseller for some SQF software called Gorilladox that I am also considering to help keep everything better organized and  take our system as paperless as possible)

Thanked by 2 Members:

Watanka

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 109 posts
  • 50 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:03 PM

SQF training is offered in a classroom setting often in conjunction with HACCP certification courses.  2-1/2 days of HACCP followed by 2-1/2 days of SQF.  Classroom settings provide opportunities to develop questions, comments and conversations along avenues that may be very helpful to you.  Certainly that forum provides time after each day's session to follow-up with instructors and students on best practices, specific concerns and so on.    Computers are fine for many things.  Classroom is my choice for this type of training.  Good luck!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mulan1010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 249 posts
  • 139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:58 PM

If you have the opportunity to attend a classroom training then I would suggest you do so just for the experience of meeting others in the industry.  Sometimes Universities offer cheaper classes that are closer. 

As far as the SQF Training itself, online works well or, as ctzinck said above, just read the code yourself along with the guidelines and you will be fine.  The bottom line with SQF is to meet the code; I am constantly referring to it along with the guidelines and I have been dealing with SQF for 7 years now.   

Thanked by 1 Member:

superchris23

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:58 PM

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. 

After reading the SQF code and guidelines, it is in fact very straight forward so I might just give the online training a shot. 

Thanks again! :spoton:

Kellio

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:59 PM

Alchemy is a great Platform for certifying people right away and less costly. We have used on the past for some of our staff. However, Classroom instructions is better due to the fact that you make connections with other people and share your "war stories" and learn a great deal. Also, most of the instructors are experienced and qualifiedand making a connection with them may help you with templates and suggestions without paying for consultations.

SQF is easy to follow and the material not very complicated. Just download module 2 and module 11 and read up a couple of times and the test should be no problem.

I hope this helps,

Arquelio

Thanked by 2 Members:

Rich G.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:01 PM

Skip the online course and go to a classroom style course. Great interaction, chance for discussion and Q&A and you can learn a lot of best practices from the other participants. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

ChristinaK

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 66 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:32 PM   Best Answer

I attended SQF auditor and packaging courses and I found them very informative! Kristie and Leann from SQFI lead the auditor course, and they're great teachers. (I attended the courses SQFI offers in Chicago, because it's local for me).

Some parts of the class did seem to stretch on a bit...mostly between people asking questions regarding their specific module/category and because some people took longer to grasp certain concepts (I'm a very quick learner and sometimes that was a bit of torture). I'm new to the food industry, so I like hearing and learning about all the challenges and quirks of different food category sectors. You can also glean a lot of ideas from others and apply them to your plant, as well! The certification audit stories people had were especially useful.

I think that online vs. classroom depends on your facility's needs and your availability for travel. I took my HACCP course online, and I liked how I could just plow through it at my own (furiously fast) pace, but I missed the option of having an instructor to help explain some of the application.

Whatever you choose, I hope it works out for you!

Good luck!

-Christina

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

Thanked by 1 Member:

superchris23

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:35 PM

Hello!

I finally attended a course given by GFTC in Guelph (Canada). Instructor was A1! It was also fun to interact with other people going thogh an SQF implementation.

Was well worth it!

Thanks,

Cristian

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users