• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to achieve sanitary design in old equipment?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Dr Vu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 235 posts
  • 51 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Action movies...

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:56 AM

I am doing freelance work ( consulting) and the place I am at has 4 large bucket elevator, scales etc. Equipment is aged. Equipment is now full of holes either from them making new holes and where some nuts and bolts used to be and they figured they don't need them. Is there any suggestions on how I can close these holes ? ? It's mainly stainless steel and plexi . Maybe rivets? Maybe replace the nuts and bolts ( in some areas the reason they bore new holes was loss of threading in one area) Please assist?.

A vu in time , saves nine

Dood

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:07 AM

Personally, if it is just stainless steel I 'd have them dab some weld in the holes and grind them flush. If excessively large holes or a number of holes in close proximity, weld a plate over the top. A good weld will have decent surface easy to keep clean. 

For the Plexi, if it's sheet plexi, it'd only cost a few dollars to replace.

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:40 PM

I am doing freelance work ( consulting) and the place I am at has 4 large bucket elevator, scales etc. Equipment is aged. Equipment is now full of holes either from them making new holes and where some nuts and bolts used to be and they figured they don't need them. Is there any suggestions on how I can close these holes ? ? It's mainly stainless steel and plexi . Maybe rivets? Maybe replace the nuts and bolts ( in some areas the reason they bore new holes was loss of threading in one area) Please assist?.

This is what I would do.

For the stainless steel, have a certified/professional welder or metal fabricator build up metal in the holes while making sure that they have a completed area that is smooth and has no places for food to collect.  I say to use a certified welder because stainless steel comes in several alloys, and the rod/settings used will be different for each.  Plus, if they melt holes in the metal, you should be able to hold them responsible.  Welding stainless is not cheap and is tricky, but if not done correctly, it will not be a sanitary surface.

For the Plexiglas, it's harder.  I don't think you can "fill" holes in that, and it's hard to re-create that smooth surface once it's been cut.  It may be cheaper to just replace the entire piece rather than try to get someone to fill holes correctly.  I'd talk to a local company that fabricates Plexiglas.

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users