• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:38 PM

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you have a phone policy in place in your food manufacturing plants. 

additionally, what is the rule with listening to music with earplugs.

brianweber

Brian

• IFSQN Senior
  • 293 posts
  • 114 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cheese, Coffee, Golf, Scrabble, Food Safety, HACCP, BBQing

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:46 PM

I have a rule. No phones on the production floor. Period. They can be used during break time. Music is a no no to me. While ear plugs stop some noise, you can still hear if someone is yelling. Introduce music into it and you have no way of communicating an emergency in a hurry. Plus you have the issue of cleanliness. It falls out of someones ear, cords dirty etc...

Brian

idealdreams

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:47 PM

We prohibit our employees from even carrying their cell phones in with them to any food processing/handling/production area. You can't sanitize a cell phone and we've found that 9 times out of 10, the employee will not wash their hands after handling their dirty cell phone. So we make it very clear and follow up with disciplinary actions, that if you use your phone, you will be written up/suspended/terminated after so many strikes.

We also prohibit listening to music as it is a safety hazard given the nature of production and warehouse equipment we use here.

Sussy

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:14 PM

one  more question while were at it. 

Are the employees freely conversing while working, or do you keep it quiet?

brianweber

Brian

• IFSQN Senior
  • 293 posts
  • 114 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:56 PM

Ha, as much as I wish people didn't talk... I don't care what they talk about as long as it does not disrupt business, is appropriate for all ears to hear and is not full of cuss words. I have a great group of folks in production and have never had a serious issue.

Brian

ChristinaK

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 179 posts
  • 66 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

We have it stated in our GMP policy that cell phones must be left in the locker or vehicle and only used outside of the building. Because our company owns several patents, cell phones and electronic devices of any kind are forbidden on the floor unless it's a company-issued device. 

If personnel have an issue that would require being called and notified (sick child, family emergency, etc.), we allow them to receive calls in the production office.

As for talking on the floor, it's allowed so long as it's not offensive or derogatory and it doesn't distract from following work or safety procedures.

-Christina

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

Sussy

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:31 PM

Thank you guys. I really appreciate your input. I don't want to be mean but I want to be firm with our policies and know that this is how it's done all over.

Have you ever had to discipline an employee about cell phone use and was there a consequence? I would like to warn them and they should know what the consequences are.

brianweber

Brian

• IFSQN Senior
  • 293 posts
  • 114 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:25 AM

Yes, it is progressive discipline. Verbal, written, final, termination.

Brian

brianweber

Brian

• IFSQN Senior
  • 293 posts
  • 114 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:26 AM

It isn't being mean. It is running a clean and sanitary operation. If you look at enforcing rules and GMPs as being mean, you may want to consider a different profession.

Brian

Irishlass105

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:50 AM

I agree with all the above. There is also a culture now were people will use their phone to video or capture imagines you don't want to be shown outside the factory to the public. I am not saying bad practices as such just in general but if there are bad practices on site, even just a one off, you'll be damn sure some people will use their phones to have it if ever needed. 

In our factory, phones are not permitted unless they are factory issued ie for senior management. If an operative is seen using their phone they are disciplined. It is in their induction and we have signs in the factory entrances to say no mobile phones, cameras or recording devices permitted.

We have a factory issued camera which can be used in the factory when and if needed.

BrummyJim

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 329 posts
  • 117 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Motorbike gone now. Only the dog to walk!

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:04 AM

I banned the use of mobile phones in the production area based on the likelihood of high levels of contamination (E. Coli, Staph etc.) on mobile phones. If you search the web you'll find a number of reports of swab analysis. If in doubt, swab a few phones.

Note that some people rarely let go of their phones outside work and will use them everywhere, even on the toilet!

DN_QAMGR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 67 posts
  • 37 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:08 PM

Why risk having phones near any product or processing area? There can be so many unforeseen hazards with personal belongings being on the production floor or areas with product. 

There is no point of risking food safety. 

As for being mean, keep in mind, your job is ensure food safety and due diligence in your program.

I just took a BRC class and we all have the same issues with Plant personnel, management and maintenance.

(I would love to have a horror story or section about the worst you've seen about food safety violations) 

Our position is tough, but to be professional and perform your job task, you must enforce. The day you slack off, there can be food safety issues.  

As for talking, Supervisors and Production Management should be disciplining their staff. 

Sussy

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:00 PM

It isn't being mean. It is running a clean and sanitary operation. If you look at enforcing rules and GMPs as being mean, you may want to consider a different profession.

With mean I was referring to talking. I feel that they lose the momentum or rhythm when they are conversing, but I don't know if it is normal to have a no talk policy. 

brianweber

Brian

• IFSQN Senior
  • 293 posts
  • 114 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:25 PM

Then that would be a production supervisors place to step up and tell them that sub par work is being done and is unacceptable. Is this a new facility with new rules or are you going in behind someone and training folks that have been there awhile?

Brian

Sussy

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:32 PM

New rules for old employees. That's why it's being so difficult. They are used to one way and now they have to get used to a new way. I told them that I am going to fire and rehire everyone on my terms and if they don't follow my rules and regulations that i will have them sign, they are out of a job. That is why I am weighing and measuring how strict or lenient I can start out.

Andy_Yellows

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 201 posts
  • 37 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Football, Dr Pepper

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:35 AM

We have a strict no mobile phone policy in our warehouse and production areas other than for QC purposes (i.e. gaining photographic evidence of substandard product or packaging etc). Music in the ears from a health and safety point of view is also a no, due to forklifts, heavy machinery and the constant need for communication. You're just opening yourself up to problems if music through earphones is allowed in my opinion.

As for conversing, banning chat can prove counterproductive in the long run, particularly if the hours are long or the work is taxing. A bit of banter, though it may slow output down slightly, at least helps retain a level of satisfaction/enjoyment.

Andy

On the Ball, City

Thanked by 1 Member:

Kellio

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:34 PM

Hello Everyone,

Our Policy is no Phones allowed in the production floor. The employees have to leave them on their lockers. We have a change room separate from the lockers and all employees must go through a hand wash system and boot wash system prior to entering the Production Room.

Since there is no devices to deliver Music this is an Automatic "NO Music Allowed" in the Production Floor.  Besides, Operating Machinery and Forklift etc.. is a safety hazard and for us in the US is a very sticky issue with OSHA.  

Employees talking, if things are running the way they supposed to, your personnel will be focused on the job at hand and they will not have time to talk much.  Naturally,  They will talk some since they are 8 to 14 hours doing there job 5 to 7 days a week.

All starts with a culture you create, sustain, and promote.  As Leaders is our job to promote this culture and a deviation must be dealt with a corrective action.

I hope this helps and enjoy all the comments in this post.

Good Day everyone.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:34 PM

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you have a phone policy in place in your food manufacturing plants. 

additionally, what is the rule with listening to music with earplugs.

Not read all of the replies but - mobile phones, only work issued ones.  Headphones, zero tolerance from a hygiene and safety perspective.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:34 PM

We also have a no cell phone policy at this facility.....risk losing an entire batch because a crystal smashed into a million pieces?? No thanks. Our employees have lots of banter back and forth and as long as the real gabby ones aren't in close proximity everything runs tickety boo.

Employees have been given written warnings on cell phones-i skip the verbal warning, the risk is too great for my comfort. I have not had another offender since i took a hard stand.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:36 PM

one  more question while were at it. 

Are the employees freely conversing while working, or do you keep it quiet?

I would say you'd want to encourage communication not discourage it.  It helps problem solving, team cohesion, makes the day go faster.  No need to stop it as long as it's not distracting people from work.  We have a radio on in one of our factories and I'm often found singing along.  I'd hate a "no singing" policy!

angegenet

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:10 PM

We have company cell phones, that are water proof Samsung's, only Managers and Supervisors are aloud their company issued cell phones and they must be sanitized on entry to the plant, The Cell phones are swabbed as part of the sampling and monitoring programme.

EmileSA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 05 July 2023 - 05:09 AM

Hi guys,

Does anyone perhaps have an example of such a policy. I am looking to create one but just need a benchmark to work from in terms of food manufacturing facilities

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users