• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:39 AM

Hello,

At my new job I am revamping my HACCP risk assessment. To make my life easier I made an Access database for it so I can easily add and change things.

Because I see a lot of questions about risk assessments here on the forum I thought, why not make an template for others as well.

Now that my database is Alpha stage I would like someone who has some knowledge of Access to take a look at it and maybe have some advice to improve.

Now something about the database itself; the theory behind the database is based on a much used system in the Netherlands and approved by over 50 audits at my previous job.

·         Per process step list all possible hazards (even the ones that are PRP’s)

·         Determine the chance and effect of the possible hazard

·         If there is an significant risk apply an extra control measure

·         Use the decision tree to determine if the control measure stays a PRP or will needs to be a CCP

This is not very spectacular but why my database is easy to is the following, a potential hazard (and a control measure) can occur at several process steps so I created a separate database with hazards in this database per hazard you note the following:

·         What the potential hazard is

·         The category

·         The chance of occurrence

·         The motivation for the chance occurrence

·         The effect on the public health

·         The motivation for the effect

·         And the risk

So when something changes, say like new studies show that Salmonella is not lethal anymore (sorry could not come up with an realistic example) you just need to change it in the hazard overview and at all process steps this will change. (the control measures work the same)

This makes yearly reviews of the HACCP plan a lot easier.

Furthermore let say you have had an audit and a the audit wants you to add a new hazard for 5 different process steps, you can instantly add these hazards without a problem.

So if this has peaked you interest and you have some experience with MS Access, leave a message down below and I will send you an PM when the database is ready for its first test, probably next week. 

Thanked by 4 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:46 PM

Hi Dongilles,

It might be simpler to just post yr prototype on the Forum to get feedback. (assuming such files are uploadable).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

George19

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:56 PM

Hi Dongilles,

It might be simpler to just post yr prototype on the Forum to get feedback. (assuming such files are uploadable).

Hello,

At my new job I am revamping my HACCP risk assessment. To make my life easier I made an Access database for it so I can easily add and change things.

Because I see a lot of questions about risk assessments here on the forum I thought, why not make an template for others as well.

Now that my database is Alpha stage I would like someone who has some knowledge of Access to take a look at it and maybe have some advice to improve.

Now something about the database itself; the theory behind the database is based on a much used system in the Netherlands and approved by over 50 audits at my previous job.

·         Per process step list all possible hazards (even the ones that are PRP’s)

·         Use the decision tree to determine if the control measure stays a PRP or will needs to be a CCP

This is not very spectacular but why my database is easy to is the following, a potential hazard (and a control measure) can occur at several process steps so I created a separate database with hazards in this database per hazard you note the following:

·         The category

·         And the risk

So when something changes, say like new studies show that Salmonella is not lethal anymore (sorry could not come up with an realistic example) you just need to change it in the hazard overview and at all process steps this will change. (the control measures work the same)

Furthermore let say you have had an audit and a the audit wants you to add a new hazard for 5 different process steps, you can instantly add these hazards without a problem.

So if this has peaked you interest and you have some experience with MS Access, leave a message down below and I will send you an PM when the database is ready for its first test, probably next week. 

I am facing the same problems as rehashing our HACCP plans in excel. I would love to get your PM , thanks in advance

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:54 PM

Put me on the list, please.

Marshall

Sussy

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:57 PM

Me too. I would love to check it out

Gilles

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:05 AM

Thanks I will send you both an invite!

I am now busy translating. got some delay because my laptop died this weekend. But I will keep you posted  :ejut:

Gilles

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:06 AM

Hmm its not possible to send out personal messages... anyone who has a better solution then putting our email adresses here on the forum?

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:11 PM

Hello,

·         The category

·         And the risk

Hi Dongilles,

I believe as Charles stated it would be easier just to submit a template of your database. I really find your concept intriguing because I have over 150 ingredients to analyze yearly, and one ingredient might be used in the hazard analysis of 2 or more HACCP plans. Are you making one entire hazard table and linking the necessary ingredients to the corresponding HACCP plan's hazard analysis?

QAGB

Gilles

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:24 PM

Hi Dongilles,

I believe as Charles stated it would be easier just to submit a template of your database. I really find your concept intriguing because I have over 150 ingredients to analyze yearly, and one ingredient might be used in the hazard analysis of 2 or more HACCP plans. Are you making one entire hazard table and linking the necessary ingredients to the corresponding HACCP plan's hazard analysis?

QAGB

I could upload the database and additional documents here but then they will be forever on the forum and if there are flaws in the database these cant be corrected. This is why I do not want to uload it to the forums just now.

And yes, I have one table for hazards and this corrisponds with the HACCP plan.

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:39 PM

I could upload the database and additional documents here but then they will be forever on the forum and if there are flaws in the database these cant be corrected. This is why I do not want to uload it to the forums just now.

And yes, I have one table for hazards and this corrisponds with the HACCP plan.

Hi Dongilles,

I understand what you mean, and that's fine. I have a rough idea of what the database should look like. My question, which I didn't pose very clearly, was if you have an ingredient that appears in more than one HACCP plan, are you linking the information from that master hazard table to the specific hazard analysis tables in the HACCP plans where the ingredient appears?

For example, say you have the ingredient salt. You list salt in the ingredient analysis of the HACCP plan for "dough processing" and the HACCP plan for "custom blends". Are you linking the risk assessment for salt from the master hazard table into each one of the ingredient risk assessments for the separate HACCP plans? Alternatively, do you just use one master hazard table for all HACCP plans (or are you lucky enough to just have one HACCP plan for your processes)?

Thanks,

QAGB

Gilles

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:49 PM

Hi Dongilles,

I understand what you mean, and that's fine. I have a rough idea of what the database should look like. My question, which I didn't pose very clearly, was if you have an ingredient that appears in more than one HACCP plan, are you linking the information from that master hazard table to the specific hazard analysis tables in the HACCP plans where the ingredient appears?

For example, say you have the ingredient salt. You list salt in the ingredient analysis of the HACCP plan for "dough processing" and the HACCP plan for "custom blends". Are you linking the risk assessment for salt from the master hazard table into each one of the ingredient risk assessments for the separate HACCP plans? Alternatively, do you just use one master hazard table for all HACCP plans (or are you lucky enough to just have one HACCP plan for your processes)?

Thanks,

QAGB

As you point out, I am lucky enough ;)

I only have one HACCP plan for all processes. But with the setup of my databse it wont be a problem to have multible HACCP plans that all use the same hazards so when you change the hazard it will change in all the HACCP plans

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:57 PM

As you point out, I am lucky enough ;)

I only have one HACCP plan for all processes. But with the setup of my databse it wont be a problem to have multible HACCP plans that all use the same hazards so when you change the hazard it will change in all the HACCP plans

Ah, ok. I wish I could be lucky enough as well.

I think I could make that work. I never even thought about using Access for the analysis. I've been using Excel all this time, while hating it so much.

Thanks for the idea!

QAGB

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:59 PM

I may be able to create a private forum for it, where it can be uploaded, deleted re-uploaded, commented on etc.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Gilles

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:21 PM

I have thought of a way :)

Everyone interested in the database, please go to this link and send an email to the email address listed.

https://www.dropbox....Email.docx?dl=0

Gilles

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:23 PM

I may be able to create a private forum for it, where it can be uploaded, deleted re-uploaded, commented on etc.

Hello Simon, thanks for helping, I just now saw your post.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:42 PM

It depends if you want members to collaborate as a team or not.

Let me know if this is a good idea or not.

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Gilles

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:13 PM

Sorry something came up so my previous post was not complete.

But that seems like a great idea! If it is possible yes please :)

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:16 AM

Ok will set something up and let you know.

By the way do you intend to give this away for free to members or are you planning to commercialize it?

Regards,

Simon

Gilles

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:30 AM

Great thank you.

The programm will be free because I do not have the resources to personalize the database for everyones needs and can't have customer service.

Gilles

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:55 AM

Hello all,

Sorry for the delay, Simon and I had several idea's how to do this, sadly they did not work but now we have a solution.

The latest version is downloadable through the following link:

https://www.dropbox....4NYruR_uBa?dl=0

There are 4 documents:

MyQRA procedure, this is the procedure how the risk assessment works

MyQRA Manual, this is a simple (ugly) manual for how to use the database

MyRA: Is the actual database

MyRA_back-up: This document that access automaticly makes so you do not need this.

Note, this is just an alpha build of my database, there may be some problems. Also this manual does not go in the workings of MS Access, if you want to use this alpha version you need to have some basic understanding of Access.

The documents in the dropbox link will be update when needed so they will always be the latest version of the database.

Currently the database is at version 0.6

So please check it out and leave comments here. If there are any questions please let me know and hopefully you all can make good use of the programm.

Thanked by 1 Member:

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:44 PM

Hello all,

Sorry for the delay, Simon and I had several idea's how to do this, sadly they did not work but now we have a solution.

The latest version is downloadable through the following link:

https://www.dropbox....4NYruR_uBa?dl=0

There are 4 documents:

MyQRA procedure, this is the procedure how the risk assessment works

MyQRA Manual, this is a simple (ugly) manual for how to use the database

MyRA: Is the actual database

MyRA_back-up: This document that access automaticly makes so you do not need this.

Note, this is just an alpha build of my database, there may be some problems. Also this manual does not go in the workings of MS Access, if you want to use this alpha version you need to have some basic understanding of Access.

The documents in the dropbox link will be update when needed so they will always be the latest version of the database.

Currently the database is at version 0.6

So please check it out and leave comments here. If there are any questions please let me know and hopefully you all can make good use of the programm.

Thank you, Dongilles! I've checked out the database, and it's a very interesting and useful build.

QAGB

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:52 PM

Just for benefit of any rare, antique MS Office users, the database file seems un-openeable unless have access 2007 up. Similar problem to excel files except the excel converter seems not applicable which is unsurprising i guess.

PS - i also noticed the file sizes downloaded with XP do not approx. match the values shown in the link. Maybe due to dropbox ending support for XP. :crybaby:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Gilles

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:01 PM

Thank you, Dongilles! I've checked out the database, and it's a very interesting and useful build.

QAGB

Thank you for trying the database, hope to hear what you think when you have had a better look.

Just for benefit of any rare, antique MS Office users, the database file seems un-openeable unless have access 2007 up. Similar problem to excel files except the excel converter seems not applicable which is unsurprising i guess.

PS - i also noticed the file sizes downloaded with XP do not approx. match the values shown in the link. Maybe due to dropbox ending support for XP. :crybaby:

True the way the database is setup you only can use it from 2007 and up. It has been almost 10 year sinds the release time to update ;)

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:13 PM

True the way the database is setup you only can use it from 2007 and up. It has been almost 10 year sinds the release time to update ;)

I believe it's possible to generate a 2003 compatible version directly from the 2007 up versions ??

(at the risk of some functions being not available, a la excel which in my conversion experience rarely fails)

Actually XP is maybe 15 years old but, despite M$, still going strong. i guess dropbox are now willing to boost google drive.

PS - just realised that wrong file sizes were due to the apparent inability to use "save as" function on dropbox links. Good to know.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Gilles

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:06 AM

I believe it's possible to generate a 2003 compatible version directly from the 2007 up versions ??

(at the risk of some functions being not available, a la excel which in my conversion experience rarely fails)

Sorry I cant convert the database to 2003. I tried but I use objects from 2007 and up.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users