• Quick Navigation
Photo

Bakery-Identifying Risk and Care Areas according to the BRC Standard?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

speci

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Croatia
    Croatia

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:39 AM

I have small pastry (cakes) production and I need to identify high risk areas, high care areas, ambient high care areas, low risk areas, enclosed product areas.

Would anybody to explain diferents and help me.

Many thanks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:56 AM

I have small pastry (cakes) production and I need to identify high risk areas, high care areas, ambient high care areas, low risk areas, enclosed product areas.

Would anybody to explain diferents and help me.

Many thanks

Hi speci,

Welcome to the Forum ! :welcome:

Do you have a copy of the BRC7 Standard ? The interpretation / method of identification of the areas is given in 2 flowcharts in the Appendix (Pgs 94-5 in Eng.version).

If you wish for some further assistance will need to (1) provide a short description of process steps to define the "areas" involved, eg A > B > C etc, (2) inform whether the finished product is stored at ambient or chilled/frozen conditions.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

speci

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Croatia
    Croatia

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:45 PM

Hi speci,

Welcome to the Forum ! :welcome:

Do you have a copy of the BRC7 Standard ? The interpretation / method of identification of the areas is given in 2 flowcharts in the Appendix (Pgs 94-5 in Eng.version).

If you wish for some further assistance will need to (1) provide a short description of process steps to define the "areas" involved, eg A > B > C etc, (2) inform whether the finished product is stored at ambient or chilled/frozen conditions.

Hi Charles

Thanks for help

I would try briefly to describe the process.

1. Storage of raw materilas and packaging : a) ambient conditions

b) chilled conditions

2. Mixing

3. Shaping

4. Baking

5. Cooling - ambient conditions

6. Filling with chocolade, jam... - ambinet conditions

7. Packaging - ambient conditions

8. Final products - ready to eat - storage in frozen conditions

Thank You for Your help in advance

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:52 PM

Hi Charles

Thanks for help

I would try briefly to describe the process.

1. Storage of raw materilas and packaging : a) ambient conditions

b) chilled conditions

2. Mixing

3. Shaping

4. Baking

5. Cooling - ambient conditions

6. Filling with chocolade, jam... - ambinet conditions

7. Packaging - ambient conditions

8. Final products - ready to eat - storage in frozen conditions

Thank You for Your help in advance

Hi speci,

Thanks yr details.

This may be a tricky question for various reasons. :smile:

Chocolate and jam may have different interpretations.

Yr query looks similar to the 2nd product queried in thread below (+ filling)  which previously sort of "defeated" this forum -

http://www.ifsqn.com...-contamination/

The dificulty is that, afaik, the BRC zoning chart is not directly applicable to Bakeries, the latter are covered in the BRC6 Document F048 which is attached below.

Attached File  brc6 F048 - Understanding High care and High risk 3 28 5 12 Final.pdf   589.79KB   303 downloads

(see pg 17, category 14)

As you can check, if baked product is stored at ambient (ie is "ambient stable") or chilled temperature, a solution is given in F048 but the latter unfortunately does not mention frozen storage.

(However I note that in the BRC7 Standard both ambient and frozen baked products are allocated to category 14)

Is yr product actually ambient stable for all fillings used  ? If so, why store frozen ?

Maybe other posters here have direct BRC experience of frozen, baked, jam/chocolate-filled pastries  ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

ChrisM

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:39 AM

Speci Hi,

We are a large bakery with the same steps you have stated. We have BRC etc. You are not a High Care, Nor a High Risk or  a Ambient High Care.

Kind regards

Chris

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:17 AM

Hi Chris,

Appreciate yr input but can you please inform/justify what the zone status(es) of the OP actually is/are ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

speci

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Croatia
    Croatia

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:45 PM

Speci Hi,

We are a large bakery with the same steps you have stated. We have BRC etc. You are not a High Care, Nor a High Risk or  a Ambient High Care.

Kind regards

Chris

Thanks for help, Chris

In my recipes are fresh eggs (biscuit). Does the addition of fresh eggs , mixing , etc. has implications for the risk zone . After baking biscuit, products are filled with jam and chocolate ( Sachertorte ) .

If You hae experience, advice...I would be grateful

ChrisM

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:46 AM

Charles Hi,

We have low Aw

Baked > 185  degrees C > 28 mins - Quality failure would be evident far in advance of any food safety failure

Frozen

Speci Hi,

We use liquid and powdered eggs. With the use of liquid egg we did introduce some additional steps in our production area. Hand washing before leaving production, no production staff in packing etc. With the kill step at the ovens eggs are not ab issue.

Regards

Chris

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:42 AM

Chocolate may change the zoning to ambient high care.

I would suggest you put your products through the flow diagram then post here, we can then help?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:47 AM

Chocolate may change the zoning to ambient high care.

I would suggest you put your products through the flow diagram then post here, we can then help?

Hi GMO,

But according to OP,  product is frozen ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

speci

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Croatia
    Croatia

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:40 AM

Hi everybody

GMO, my flow diagram generally would be like this

the receipt of raw materials

storage at ambient conditions

cold storage +4 C

melting chocolate at  + 45-50 C for up to 24 hours

butter melting at 40-45 C for up to 24 hours

breaking eggs

Filtering of broken eggs ( separate the remains of eggshells )

Add all the raw materials for Mixing biscuits

mixing biscuits

Filling the mold

Baking at 160 C for half an hour

Cooling biscuit to ambient conditions

Overflow with pre-warmed jam – ambient conditions

Mixing glazing mass (melted chocolade, butter...)

glazing with a mixture

Cooling at -18 C for half an hour  (to get steady structure)

Chiled products packed in cardboard boxes

Packed products - freezing and storage at  -18 C.

Regards

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:07 PM

addendum

For consideration -

Just an IT Example

My favorite of the bakery’s offerings was Kottman’s Sacher torte, rich chocolate cake layered with marzipan, ganache, butter cream and jam and covered in chocolate ganache,

http://www.nwitimes....eb59643c28.html

or -

http://www.theauberg...53-sachertorte/

Yummy-Yummy !

ex BRC7

HIGH RISK (CHILLED AND FROZEN)
This is a physically segregated area (see below) designed to a high hygiene standard where practices relating to personnel, ingredients, equipment, packaging and environment aim to prevent contamination by pathogenic micro-organisms. Products which require handling in a high-risk area meet all of the following:

1•  The finished products require chilling or freezing during storage to preserve food safety.
2•  All components have received a full cook  process to a minimum of 70ºC for 2 minutes or equivalent (see Appendix 3) before entry to the area.
3•  The finished products are vulnerable to the growth of pathogens (e.g. Listeria species) or the survival of pathogens, which could subsequently grow during the normal storage or use of the product (e.g. if a frozen product is defrosted but not immediately consumed).
4•  The finished products are ready to eat  or ready to heat  or, on the basis of known consumer use, are likely to be eaten without adequate cooking.

1. Y/N (Sachertorte?)
2. Y
3. Y/N? (Sachertorte ?)
4. Y

HIGH CARE (CHILLED AND FROZEN)
This is an area designed to a high standard where practices relating to personnel, ingredients, equipment, packaging and environment aim to minimise product contamination by pathogenic micro-organisms. Segregation (see below) of the high-care area and access arrangements to the area shall minimise the risk of product contamination. Products which require handling in a high-care area meet all of the following:

1•  The finished products require chilling or freezing during storage.
2•  All microbiologically susceptible components have received a process to reduce the microbiological contamination to acceptable levels (typically 1–2 log reduction of micro-organisms such as Listeria species) before entry to the area.
3•  The finished products are vulnerable to the growth of pathogens or the survival of pathogens, which could subsequently grow during the normal storage or use of the product (e.g. if a frozen product is defrosted but not immediately consumed).
4•  The finished products are ready to eat or ready to heat or, on the basis of known consumer use, are likely to be eaten without adequate cooking.

1. Y/N (Sachertorte?)
2. Y (but probably “atypical” ?)
3. Y/N? (Sachertorte?)
4. Y

(Normally, i think, a fully-cooked product (eg 5-6D) is associated with high risk rather than high care, ie “prevent” rather than “minimise”.)

Any “N”s will, i think, imply process either has no (BRC) high risk/care zones, or a BRC exception has occurred.

This list looked quite useful -

Attached File  Some Guidelines Non Potentially and Potentially Hazardous Food Products.pdf   570.02KB   186 downloads

A key question is - Why is it stored frozen ? If the reason is "for Safety" it is unlikely to be "Low Risk."

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 3 Members:

viscofoods

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:27 PM

Is it correct to  store empty cardbopard boxes in chilled conditions or ambient only

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Areas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users