• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Mauritius
    Mauritius

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:52 AM

Hi, I'm Anouksha from Mauritius.

I'm also working with an organisation producing alcoholic drinks such as Whisky and Vodka and also concentrate fruit juice.

We're also moving to ISO 22 000 standard but will implement only for conc. fruit juice.

I would like to ask some questions related to alcoholic drinks as follows:

Is same activated carbon used for filtration of vodka and water?

Does alcohol content decrease when surfine alcohol passing through activated carbon?

Do you have an idea how to minimize the alcohol content when passing through the latter?

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,

Anouksha

Watanka

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 109 posts
  • 50 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:20 PM

Anouksha,

Carbon filtration can be used for both water and spirits, but quite often the specification and method used to filter product changes depending upon the spirit type and target profile.  Some types of filtration, cordial pads for instance, can remove profile attributes - color, turbidity, organoleptic, etc. 

The word "surfine" relates to certain Belgian ales.  Are you using it in another context?

Alcohol content is generally not reduced when passing through filtration.  You can shorten the distillation of the spirit type to derive a lower proof product (not recommended) or you can reduce alcohol content by adding water.  For the vast majority of finished good spirits you have to do that anyway to hit your target proof or %ABV.

There is no substitute for good distillate and pure water.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users