• Quick Navigation
Photo
- - - - -

Potable Water - Which Standards or Guidelines should I follow?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

water

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:22 AM

Hello,

I am new in quality management. Currently our food processing plant is aiming to register for ISO 22000. I understand that ISO 22000 is hormonizing the world food safety standard. I am not sure about the requirement of potable water, there are some standards/ guidelines for water quality. Which standards/Guidelines should I follow?

For example, Should I follow WHO Guidelines for drinking-water quality? Thank you.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,528 posts
  • 1318 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:56 AM

Hello water,

Courtesy of google here are a few definitions of potable water:
http://www.google.co...e:Potable Water

You won't find any requirements for potable water in ISO 22000; the standard is not that prescriptive. I would consult your local or national regulatory body for the requirements for your particular country, process and product.

I found an article for further reading at the link below:
Safe Water is Critical for Food Processing

Hope this helps; let us know if you have any further questions.

I'm not an expert on this type of thing - correct me if I'm wrong experts. :oops:

Regards,
Simon

hand-pointing-down.gif

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 140 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

recommend-us-on-facebook.png

Esther

• IFSQN Member
  • 232 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain
  • Interests:Local and international food law; food industrial processes; food safety management systems;GMP; lean manufacturing; share knowledge

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:50 PM

Hello,

I am new in quality management. Currently our food processing plant is aiming to register for ISO 22000. I understand that ISO 22000 is hormonizing the world food safety standard. I am not sure about the requirement of potable water, there are some standards/ guidelines for water quality. Which standards/Guidelines should I follow?

For example, Should I follow WHO Guidelines for drinking-water quality? Thank you.

Hello " water "

Also you can ask to the lab you are working with ; they will give a very updated information.

Regards
Esther

okido

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 205 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:21 AM

Hello Esther,

Ask your water supplier first under what conditions he delivers the water to you.
He should have specs.

Okido

PedroP

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:06 AM

Hello Esther,

Ask your water supplier first under what conditions he delivers the water to you.
He should have specs.
Okido

Hello everyone!!

Like Okido said, first all of all I will check your customer's requirements and also, the legislation in your country. In Spain we a law about water requirements, uses and analysis. And I am not sure but I suppose in EU legislation as well. And as well it is one of the PRs of HACCP.

PedroP

Koko LMQ

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Thailand
    Thailand

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:33 PM

Hi Friends,

I think it depends of each country so we shall observe the country's regulation at first and then for the guideline, I think we should follow the WHO Guidelines as defined in Codex - Food Hygiene.

NY

suemal

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:22 PM

Hia
there are regulations for potable water in this country the water quality regs, ask your water undertaker to supply you with them, as a monitoring procedure we test the water and ice on a weekly basis
Cheers

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 52 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:55 AM

John,

Think this should be what you are looking for. Happened to come across this and I remembered someone asked for help on this area.

Attached File  Dir_80.778_EC_.pdf   958.88KB   123 downloads

Edited by charleschew, 13 March 2006 - 03:56 AM.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

water

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:10 PM

Really shoulda stopped by here sooner this place has changed, really come on a bundle since my last visit. Nice work guys. :clap: A long time past but sincere thanks for all the advice, I did use it and got in touch with the vendor so it wasn't wasted - - - - - JW

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,528 posts
  • 1318 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:43 PM

Really shoulda stopped by here sooner this place has changed, really come on a bundle since my last visit. Nice work guys. :clap: A long time past but sincere thanks for all the advice, I did use it and got in touch with the vendor so it wasn't wasted - - - - - JW

Thanks for the feedback Water. Please don't leave it so long next time.

Regards,

Simon

hand-pointing-down.gif

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 140 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

recommend-us-on-facebook.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users