Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:44 PM

When working in Factory that deals with pork production, what is the most common place to find Listeria and how is it monitored. If high levels are found what is the most effective way of getting rid of it. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 September 2016 - 11:43 PM

When working in Factory that deals with pork production, what is the most common place to find Listeria and how is it monitored. If high levels are found what is the most effective way of getting rid of it. 

Hi Kev,

The answer likely relates to yr type of production, eg if you make RTE, the monitoring will particularly focus on the environment post cooking.

The typical response is to construct a risk zoning scheme so as to implement a sampling plan prioritised to nearest potential food contact contamination surfaces > less likely contamination sources. The subsequent focussing is then refined based on the results.

Some areas are often foci for Listeria build-up such as drains but it depends on yr various layouts/routes of contamination/existing sanitation procedure. It's called Risk Assessment.

There are many listeria-oriented environmental zoning designs on this forum, eg -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ls/#entry100060

Afaik (I'm not in USA) there is a barrage of FSIS Guidance documents for this topic.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:25 AM

addendum

One more relatively readable FSIS/Listeria ref. for small Plants which someone else posted here recently -

Attached File  Controlling Listeria in RTE Products.pdf   793.29KB   88 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

teresa gonçalves

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:42 AM

Hi everyone, I don't know if this could help.

Teresa GonçalvesAttached File  Listeria_guidance_FSA_June2016.pdf   400.02KB   70 downloads

Thanked by 2 Members:

MQA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 224 posts
  • 132 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Good food, excellent coffee, home sweet home, cherished friendships, valued work, and a fantastic city.

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:26 AM

I would also try the following documents for inspiring night time reading.

Yes, some of the literature is old, but still stands.  Like other countries I'm sure, Australia takes its time to update its literature.  

Attached Files

... helping you achieve food safety & quality assurance...

Melbourne Quality Assurance | Australia
www.melbourneqa.com | janette@melbourneqa.com
Facebook | Twitter

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:26 AM

Hi Theresa,

Thks yr attachment which is particularly oriented to Healthcare/chilled foods. From memory, there have been several L.mono incidents in this UK domain in recent years. 

Contains a lot of interesting stuff which also relates to food manufacturing but i did notice a few practical oddities, eg there are numerous recommendations to maintain chilled food below 5degC. There is also a comment that the rate of growth of L.mono at 8degC is double that at 5degC. But the document fails to mention that in UK the legal requirement for commercial refrigerators allows a temperature up to 8degC. (One of the differences to USA i believe although in practice ??)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users