Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Bahrain
    Bahrain

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:45 PM

I've been asked to write an SOP for expiry dates for retail food products and could do with some tips and advice on 'near expired' products.  

I need to include a procedure for:

1:  Procedure for removing food that has expired or is near expiry

2:  Responsibilities for checking

3:  Frequency of checks

4:  Record keeping for checking / logging data

5:  What do we do with the food if it is removed

5:  How long before expiry date can we keep products on sale

I'd normally go to our local authority for guidance however there isn't any clear instructions for my region. At the moment the procedure we follow is based on knee jerk panic with some last minute promotions and high wastage reports!  I'm kidding - but - If anyone can advise me (specifically on 5) I'd really appreciate.

Baskaran Gangadharan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 89 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:44 AM

You will not find regulatory guidelines regarding handling near expiry products. Since it is more important for an organization to avoid wastage there is no specific instructions / guidelines provided in most of the countries. Nevertheless, regulatory bodies in most of the countries provided guidelines related to  FIFO/ FEFO. 

In addition to above-mentioned steps on your message. The procedure shall include the below

- Define a schedule to verify near expiry material details. Since you are in a retail industry, the shelf life might various largely from days to year.  Therefore system driven approach is preferable than manual checks . An excel-based manual report also can give good results in order to avoid wastage. 

- Set a limit to highlight the material need to get your attention to planning your sale or promotion. 

-  As general rules in most of the retailers set limits before 20 days for more than 90 days shelf life to trigger an alert. 

-  The above enable the action of planning to liquidate. 

Once product expired, the product needs to be isolated and disposed of according to the local regulation. 

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users