• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is N-Phenylbenzamide banned by EU using in fruit and vegetable product

Share this

Best Answer , 10 November 2016 - 03:12 AM

Hi xugang,

Below is from a little searching on the net regarding EC legislation.

This EC summary addresses the general topic of food safety with respect to chemicals -

http://ec.europa.eu/...mical_safety_en

The legislation applied seems to primarily derive from Regulation(EC) No396/2005.

The page linked below gives links to specific legislation on pesticides. The left (expandable) menu offers sub-details for pesticides +  other categories as mentioned in 1st link above -

http://77.245.87.41/...US/Default.aspx

The MRL (maximum residue levels) sub-topic eventually yields a pdf attached below with lists of food categories (inc.fruit/vegs) vs specific controlled chemical MRLs.

The compilation program is on-going via Annexes 1-7. As I understand, the scope of the choice of  controlled chemicals is risk-based.

The 2 chemical names N-phenylbenzamide / benzanilide  seem totally absent from a pdf search.

PS - note that the 2nd URL above gives links to 2 databases. Neither link yielded a database for me.

PPS - I presume that it is also possible that the chemical of interest may occur within other categories, eg "contaminants".

P3S - it is unclear to me as to the consequence of a "random" detection of a ("suspicious"?) chemical residue not in any of  the various official list(s) of regulated items. Maybe there is a caveat added somewhere in the "fine" print.

I suggest that if you have no evidence that the residues of an insecticide X are associated with a specified tolerance, the operative MRL be (provisionally) set at zero (ie not detectable). This is the Precautionary Principle.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

xugang

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• China
    China
  • Interests:Food safety management

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:09 AM

Hi~everybody,

Today I read about a term" N-Phenylbenzamide".  What's the difference between " N-Phenylbenzamide" and "benzoyl"?

Has it banned by EU in fruit and vegetable products nowadays? If yes,  when?

What about regulations about N-Phenylbenzamide in other countries, such as the US, Canada, Japan and so on?  

I am looking forwad to your answers and help.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:22 AM

Hi xugang,

This compound appears to have at least 30 “synonyms” –

Attached File  BENZANILIDE _ C13H11NO - PubChem.pdf   105.02KB   7 downloads

the list of currently “approved” EC additives is, afaik, below –

Attached File  CELEX_02008R1333-20160525_EN_TXT.pdf   4.01MB   12 downloads

The 2, seemingly, most common synonyms (N-phenylbenzamide, Benzanilide) do not appear in 2nd pdf. Perhaps you can test the remaining 10-12 chemical synonyms yourself. :smile:

Note – I found up-to-date EC lists are elusive. I do not 100% guarantee the above one (ca consolidated 2016). The EC database wud not work with me.

I suspect other countries may be equally complicated.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:39 AM

P.S. Please do not post multiple threads on the same topic; your original topic will be answered in due course.  We send a newsletter once a week and so more members will see and perhaps respond.  You just need to be patient.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

xugang

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• China
    China

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:48 AM

P.S. Please do not post multiple threads on the same topic; your original topic will be answered in due course.  We send a newsletter once a week and so more members will see and perhaps respond.  You just need to be patient.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Regards,
Simon

Hi Simon.
Sorry. I will not do that again and be patient . Thank you very much.

xugang

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• China
    China

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:45 AM

Hi xugang,

This compound appears to have at least 30 “synonyms” –
attachicon.gifBENZANILIDE _ C13H11NO - PubChem.pdf

the list of currently “approved” EC additives is, afaik, below –
attachicon.gifCELEX_02008R1333-20160525_EN_TXT.pdf

The 2, seemingly, most common synonyms (N-phenylbenzamide, Benzanilide) do not appear in 2nd pdf. Perhaps you can test the remaining 10-12 chemical synonyms yourself. :smile:

Note – I found up-to-date EC lists are elusive. I do not 100% guarantee the above one (ca consolidated 2016). The EC database wud not work with me.

I suspect other countries may be equally complicated.

Hello Charles.
Thank you very much.Your reply is really appreciated. But I still have a question:It seems that N-phenylbenzamide is not a direct food additive in the situation that I came across but often used as a material of pesticide of fruits and vegetables. So I don't know if it banned by EU as a material of pesticide of fruits and vegetables now.

I looked a lot of websites but still can not find related information. So I came here for help.

THANK YOU and waiting for your reply.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:27 AM

Hello Charles.
Thank you very much.Your reply is really appreciated. But I still have a question:It seems that N-phenylbenzamide is not a direct food additive in the situation that I came across but often used as a material of pesticide of fruits and vegetables. So I don't know if it banned by EU as a material of pesticide of fruits and vegetables now.

I looked a lot of websites but still can not find related information. So I came here for help.

THANK YOU and waiting for your reply.

Hi xugang,

Sorry, i don't know either. It may be explained in the detailed text relating to my attachment in Post 2.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:12 AM   Best Answer

Hi xugang,

This EC summary addresses the general topic of food safety with respect to chemicals -

The legislation applied seems to primarily derive from Regulation(EC) No396/2005.

The page linked below gives links to specific legislation on pesticides. The left (expandable) menu offers sub-details for pesticides +  other categories as mentioned in 1st link above -

The MRL (maximum residue levels) sub-topic eventually yields a pdf attached below with lists of food categories (inc.fruit/vegs) vs specific controlled chemical MRLs.

The compilation program is on-going via Annexes 1-7. As I understand, the scope of the choice of  controlled chemicals is risk-based.

The 2 chemical names N-phenylbenzamide / benzanilide  seem totally absent from a pdf search.

Attached File  en_Reg839_2008.pdf   800.65KB   4 downloads

PS - note that the 2nd URL above gives links to 2 databases. Neither link yielded a database for me.

PPS - I presume that it is also possible that the chemical of interest may occur within other categories, eg "contaminants".

P3S - it is unclear to me as to the consequence of a "random" detection of a ("suspicious"?) chemical residue not in any of  the various official list(s) of regulated items. Maybe there is a caveat added somewhere in the "fine" print.

I suggest that if you have no evidence that the residues of an insecticide X are associated with a specified tolerance, the operative MRL be (provisionally) set at zero (ie not detectable). This is the Precautionary Principle.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

xugang

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• China
    China

Posted 10 November 2016 - 06:35 AM

Hi xugang,

attachicon.gifen_Reg839_2008.pdf

Hi Charels,

THANK YOU so so much for your kind help.

Best Regards,

Xugang

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users