• IFSQN Member
  • 150 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:25 PM

Hello good people,

Have you ever had customs open for inspection any of the containers of a shipment of raw materials that you have received, and if so, how did you handle it?  Would you consider the container to be toast or do you find a way to use it somehow?

We are a manufacturer of dietary supplements in the United States subject to 21 CFR Part 111.

Thank you in advance,

Matthew

Sam30

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:01 PM

Hi, 

its a normal practice by custom official to randomly open and check whether the ingredient is actually the same as mentioned in document, atleast that's the practice in region where i work. That container is definitely used since they do not open 100% packages rather randomly select some to open the package, once they are done with they do close the package (various ways) and reseal the container with their own seal, this seal is traceable with the document they provide for release of material. 

So the material can be used, as long as seal traceability can be ensured, and if the particular pack which was opened is not usable condition then definitely its a loss.

I have seen some practice of attaching a sealed small sample bag with same ingredient & with details along with the ingredient packages visible while opening of container so that custom most of times they take sample bag for analysis rather than opening the ingredient packs;

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:50 PM

I know here, loads coming into Canada and/or being exported to the US are either deemed skip lot, or inspect....the shipper should know ahead of time which is which....

The load should be fine....customs agents do have regs to support as well

If you feel more comfortable, have a lab verify the container prior to use and add that to your file

FYI, this will be a reoccurring theme so perhaps you need a policy in your plan for this

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users