• Quick Navigation
Photo

Difference between Bone Vs Cartilage in Poultry?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic
- - - - -

carterpoultex

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:18 AM

Hello

Can someone please confirm the actual difference between cartlidge and bone (the accepted definition)in poultry?

Thanks

JohnWheat

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 165 posts
  • 60 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My Children, Motorsports, Film, Rita Ora and Mila Kunis :)

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:42 AM

Structure

The structure of bones is a combination of living and dead cells embedded in a matrix. The outer hard layer of the bone is referred to as compact bone and has few spaces. The internal part of bone also called spongy tissue is porous and harbors the bone marrow and blood vessels. Other tissue found in bone includes endosteum, periosteum, and nerves. Bone matrix has organic (mineral) components and inorganic components such as collagen Bone formation is the result of hardening of this matrix.

Cartilage essentially consists of chondrocyte cells which produce an extracellular matrix consisting of collagen fibres, proteoglycan, and elastin fibres. Different types of cartilage contain these components in different proportions. Cartilage, unlike bones, does not contain blood vessels.

Thanked by 2 Members:

carterpoultex

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:00 PM

Thanks JohnWheat,

That is pretty much spot on what I would define it as, however I just wondered if there is a clear definition set our by either FSA or DEFRA & what is & or is not accepted as possible  'edible components'

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users