• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

Hi All,

Does anyone know of an effective sanitizing procedure for shoes in a dry clean environment? Would it be best to require shoes to never leave the production area? 

Thanks for the input,

Chippy

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 46 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:07 PM

We have that policy also, but do they change shoes before and after breaks and bathroom trips? Our break room is where they keep their coats, etc. The bathrooms are in a hallway between the break room and production area. Visitors also use that bathroom. Also, if required our employees need to go to the receiving area cooler and freezer for ingredients, so the entrances for the production area is a wise choice.

We have been talking about a dry shoe sanitizer at the entrances to the production areas.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:10 PM

Good day,

Many of our clients have switched over from a sanitizing program to a "Captive Shoe" program in that they has a contract with a supplier of shoes (in the states such as Shoes for Crews) and the shoes stay in the designated areas - this requires a shoe change each time the employee enters to leave the designated areas.

We do have one company that is still using a dry powder that requires the employee to walk thru two mats that have this white sanitizing powder in them, however it sure can create a messy situation and the stuff gets tracked if you know what I mean.

On the Captive Shoe program most companies are either paying the entire cost of 2 sets of shoes per year or doing a 50/50 with the employee.

Hope that helps.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 217 posts
  • 66 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

My previous gig was in a dry processing facility, and we had a captive shoe program...but we also had blue crystal mats (blue crystals available from EcoLab), which employees had to walk through.  We kept the mats at entrances into the plant (so that their street shoes would be sanitized before going into the locker room), and also outside of all locker rooms and rest rooms (so that employees had to walk through them before going into production areas).

Even with over 100 employees, we only had one issue with a Listeria positive swab in the two years that I was there...and it was at the employee entrance, not in any production area.  So, it appears to have been a successful program.

Brian

Kay Airey

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:11 PM

Brian

I have tried to track down these mats through Ecolab but no luck.  Can you remember the trade name please?  Very interested in sourcing.

Regards

Kay

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 217 posts
  • 66 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:34 PM

I found them here:  http://www.kelleysup...6_Sani-Step.pdf

I believe my former employer bought normal floor mats that have bristles in a shallow mat, kind of like this one:  http://www.globalind...nce-mat-24x32-1

Then they put the Sani-Step crystals on the mat so that they worked down between the bristles.

Note that it takes water to activate them, so you may need to mist them lightly with a water bottle after putting the crystals in the mat?  Not sure how my former employer handled that aspect, because we were a dry facility.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users