Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

I am having a difficult time finding a standard for Non Blast Frozen not RTE products.  I make a pot pie with a raw dough that we freeze.  I have found lots of support , and regulation as to the temperature but am having a hard time finding support documentation to indicate how long it should take to get to that temperature.  Does any one have any resources that specifically talk about shelf life extension, and time limits for freezing products?

Thank you!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

Is the filling fully cooked when prepared? What temperature are you assembling at?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

And are you meat or poultry?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

alannaknead

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

We have both a lamb and a poultry pie.  the filling is fully cooked, and at a refrigerated 34-40 F when it does into the pie.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:51 AM

I am having a difficult time finding a standard for Non Blast Frozen not RTE products.  I make a pot pie with a raw dough that we freeze.  I have found lots of support , and regulation as to the temperature but am having a hard time finding support documentation to indicate how long it should take to get to that temperature.  Does any one have any resources that specifically talk about shelf life extension, and time limits for freezing products?

Thank you!

Hi alannaknead,

afaik, currently, there is no generally applicable answer to yr freezing time question. For example the UK quick frozen foodstuff regs (2007) contain the statement -

The food must be frozen and have crossed the zone of maximum crystallisation as rapidly as possible for that type of product.

Attached File  UK quickfrozenregs,2007.pdf   54.58KB   50 downloads

Similar wordings can be seen in EC directives.

The reasons for this lack of specificity are discussed in this aging (ca 1980) but probably still relevant fao publication  - 

Attached File  fish freezing rate-time.pdf   811.51KB   32 downloads

(I daresay you may find some [arbitrary] time requirements similar to the quote in above attachment if you search).

Note that a related query to yr own which does have possible answers is  -

What is the maximum time that a product may be exposed to surrounding environment from a microbial safety POV ? This involves a cumulative calculation post cooking for which the freezer is the final step.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users