• Quick Navigation
Photo

What is the convention for a color coded brush program?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Painterchick

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:07 PM

What is the convention for color coding cleaning brushes?  The convention I found is:  raw product Red; pasteurized product White; environment Yellow; drains Black

Can we use black brushes/brooms for floor as well as drains?  

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

Generally as long as you have a major distinction between product contact and non-product contact, any other distinctions you want to make aren't going to be relevant from a food safety/cross contamination perspective, unless you have a raw/cooked distinction between areas of your facility.

The convention is whatever you want it to be in your plant and enforce! I think in general product contact materials should be lighter in color so that it's easier to tell when they become too soiled to use.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Painterchick

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:34 PM

Thank you for your response.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:41 PM

With the exception of drain brushes, which generally are black, you can determine your own color code, as long as you follow it and enforce it.

Depending on the type of product you produce, you might want to consider food contact surface colors to be contrasting.

For example, in the baking world, if you have white or yellow doughs, you might want (or your customer may demand) something other than white or yellow brushes, so they are more easily visually detected.

Marshall

itreatpets

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:58 PM

Color is mostly your choice. I like red for RTE area, kind of like a big red warning to remind the crew this is a sensitive area. Also easier to spot when employees make the mistake of having them in the wrong production area. I highly recommend black for drains and floors, I have my maintenance dept add a colored handle to help identify what area to keep them in.

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,326 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:49 PM

I would say you evaluate the risk in using black for drains and the floor.  It will depend on your facility layout, separation of activities, and your traffic pattern.

For us, we use yellow for floor and walls, black for drains only (labeled for raw or pasteurized areas respectively) and other colors for product contact (red raw, white pasteurized) and non-product contact surfaces (blue and green).  We are a dairy processing facility so it is pretty easy to keep everything separate and clear cut since we have partitions dividing raw/pasteurized and the products are enclosed (protected from environment) throughout our process aside from one step.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:45 AM

To add to the useful comments posted previously, equipment used for cleaning high-care or high-risk areas is usually dedicated for use in that area, and therefore retained in the area. It should also be visually distinct (e.g. colour coded) from cleaning equipment used in other areas.

In addition there should be dedicated, clearly identiiable cleaning equipment (e.g. colour coded) for removal of glass/brittle material breakages.

I believe it is important to keep the system as simple as possible whilst controlling risks. Also important is the training and education of staff, to assist this and to serve as a constant reminder I like to see signs like this in each area:

Attached File  Colour Coding Red Process Areas_001.jpg   102.74KB   0 downloads

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users