ChristinaK

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 182 posts
  • 66 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

Hello everyone!

Has anyone else has been reading the SQF version 8 draft documents? They're available for review and public comment on SQFI's website right now (until February 6). [LINK]

I've been reviewing the draft documents for Food Safety Fundamentals and just started reading up on the Quality Plan, myself. I was just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts or opinions on the proposed changes?

Do you also find it interesting that they've incorporated more HACCP-based language but not so many direct mentions of HACCP? Or that the allergen clauses in Food Safety Fundamentals are more robust? Isn't it interesting how they've divided the modules and system elements based on industry sector?

And are you still waiting for them to release a preview of the packaging elements and module? Because I'm waiting very anxiously for them!

Since our company is pretty small and I've been put in charge of comparing 8 to 7.2, I'm just really looking for a few people to discuss the proposed changes with while I compile information to present to our management team on what we need to prepare to change.

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

pooled

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 123 posts
  • 62 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:QA,Health & Safety, GFSI, HACCP, Produce, Surfing

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:32 PM

I've read through it & taken notes of some of the changes. I feel as though they have actually become more lenient towards some of the requirements, which were some of the harder items to enforce. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

ChristinaK

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 182 posts
  • 66 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:42 PM

I've read through it & taken notes of some of the changes. I feel as though they have actually become more lenient towards some of the requirements, which were some of the harder items to enforce. 

Really? What do you think they've become more lenient on? I'm curious.

-Christina

pooled

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 123 posts
  • 62 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

Removal of the requirement for food grade lubricant, drinking permissible under conditions that prevent contamination, removal for the requirement of colored plasters, clarified that the concern is recoup areas for jewelry.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Big Wally

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:05 PM

Also eagerly awaiting packaging (13). I hope they extend the comment section for us lucky ones. Looks to me like there is no more a level 1.

Thanked by 1 Member:

ChristinaK

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 182 posts
  • 66 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:48 PM

Removal of the requirement for food grade lubricant, drinking permissible under conditions that prevent contamination, removal for the requirement of colored plasters, clarified that the concern is recoup areas for jewelry.

I didn't notice those under Food Safety Fundamentals; did they eliminate that from the Manufacturing modules?

Also eagerly awaiting packaging (13). I hope they extend the comment section for us lucky ones. Looks to me like there is no more a level 1.

I hope so, too. Sometimes I feel like packaging gets no love.

As for level 1, I think it may have been replaced by "Food Safety Fundamentals," as the download for that compares it to the old Level 1. They seem to have toughened it up compared to how it was before, at least in regards to allergens and environmental monitoring.

-Christina

Kellio

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:56 PM

Version 8.0  an effort of SQF (GFSI) to align with FSMA (US Domestic Market) Preventive Controls.

agasr

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:38 PM

For us the sectors of interest is Storage and Distribution (S&D). So, I am reviewing ONLY those right now... plan to review the Manufacturing later on to ensure what our customers have to deal with which will indirectly impact us.

From what I see so for on Ver 8, a separate Module 2 makes a lot of sense. This Version is more sensible as there were a lot of N/A areas in 7.2 for S&D

It has made some good progress in incorporating Customer requirements and alignment towards FSMA when it comes to both Module 2 and 12. 

Those being my big take away so far, there are a lot of details to pour over, of course. 

Take care!

pooled

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 123 posts
  • 62 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:14 AM

I didn't notice those under Food Safety Fundamentals; did they eliminate that from the Manufacturing modules?

Storage & Distribution Module 12; 

12.3.1.4 Smoking, chewing, eating, or spitting is not permitted in any food handling or storage areas where the product is exposed. Drinking is permissible under conditions that prevent contamination or other food safety risks from occuring. 

12.3.4.1 Jewelry and other loose objects shall not be worn or taken into any area where exposed food is recouped. The wearing of wedding rings and medical alert bracelets (plain bands with no stones) that cannot be removed can be permitted, however the site will need to consider their customer requirements and the applicable food legislation.

Big Wally

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

Still waiting.....arghhh!

Big Wally

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:05 PM

And now wish I was still waiting and hadn't lain eyes upon it. 20 bazillion tons of little changes and a few big uns. Let the games begin.

olshanka

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:00 PM

Where do we submit comments on the new standard?

Big Wally

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

"publiccomment@sqfi.com"

IMPACTMENU

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:54 PM

Hi all,  My facility just finished up our SQF LEVEL 2 Certification Audit with a 100% in November 2016. As I know there is upcoming changes for Edition 8 and is currently open for public comment. My question is when will the 6 month implementation need to be in effect. I was under the impression Edition 8 was completed in December which left me until April 2017 to be completed. Thanks so much for the help!! 

Big Wally

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:12 PM

Im guessing this revision will be in effect late March or April unless the public comments lead them to make some more changes. We will be held to Edition 8 6 months after this goes into effect.

RMAV

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 407 posts
  • 122 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:QA, Micro, Sanitation;
    Meats, Juice, Condiments;
    SQF, Audit, and aviation

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:35 PM

Are the public comments available for view?

LauraPC

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:15 PM

I am very new to the food industry and am currently working on getting our plant SQF Level 2 certified before the end of this year. From what I understand from the SQFI website's FAQs (http://www.sqfi.com/...-FAQs-Final.pdf), Version 8 is to be implemented by Jan 2, 2018, but since we are planning to be certified before then, we will still have to follow Version 7.2. Am I correct or is it safe for me to try to get a jump start on Version 8 by following the new guidelines?

Thanks,

Laura

agasr

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:36 PM

Greetings LauraPC, 

You are right in your understanding that you would be audited and certified per SQF 7.2, as long as your audit is completed in 2017 (Jan 1st 2018). 

That said, would suggest considering 8.0 related requirements from documentation/implementation point of view early enough that it is efficient to all at your facility. 

Hope this is helpful!

Regards, 

agasr

Thanked by 1 Member:

LauraPC

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

Greetings LauraPC, 

You are right in your understanding that you would be audited and certified per SQF 7.2, as long as your audit is completed in 2017 (Jan 1st 2018). 

That said, would suggest considering 8.0 related requirements from documentation/implementation point of view early enough that it is efficient to all at your facility. 

Hope this is helpful!

Regards, 

agasr

Thank you very much, I'm glad to know that I'm on the right track. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users