• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:39 PM

Hello,

Is there any resource available on categorizing food ingredients by type. I recall from my previous employer that the HACCP plan broke down the ingredients that went into making the finished product. For instance; oils were listed as a category, types of cheeses, spices, flavor were also some of the categories or types of foods that were listed.

Is there a long list that exist that I can use in order to get all of the ingredients that we use in our plant categorized? I am looking at some of these  ingredients and I am not sure what they are without having to research them. It would be nice to have this set up for all of the personnel on my team.

Thanks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:13 AM

Hi mec,

I recall seeing a small example "portion" of the Kraft categorised list of their handled ingredients - simply Gi-normous.

But i don't offhand remember seeing any textbook examples of official systems such as Dewey for Books.

Maybe someone here is well-organised enough to be able to offer an example. Hope so.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:35 PM

FDA has a category list for use in inspection tasks: https://www.fda.gov/...s/ucm114704.htm

Another list you might consider using is the RACC (reference amounts customarily consumed) table (and USDA's table in title 9), which is a reasonable "legal" list to categorize foods. However it's important to note that these lists aren't based on shared food safety risks, so be careful how you're using them.

Racc list: https://www.accessda...h.cfm?fr=101.12

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 2 Members:

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:19 AM

FDA issued this draft guidance for hazards in types of food that may be of some use.

Marshall

Thanked by 3 Members:

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,326 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:02 PM

I have categorized ingredients/inputs by similarity and associated hazards.

The FDA guidance is a nice start, but I still think it is a bit too broad.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Raw MaterialsIngredients, Categories, Food by type, Food, HACCP, Sorting, Sorting Ingredients, Type, Finished product

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users