• 58 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:41 PM

Hello all, 

Looking for some perspectives. 

We manufacture a concentrated ingredient that will be further processed and co-packed down the line. We received a very in-depth Raw Material Questionnaire from the end customer. They have requested a survey be filled out for each raw material used in the blend we produce. I have the documents needed according to our facility's SOP to approve each raw material. However, I am not so sure that I feel comfortable filling out a survey on the behalf of our suppliers. 

I see two options:

1.) Reach out to each supplier and ask that they fill out each survey and return it. 

---> The problem here is that we acquire most ingredients through a distributor. The distributor handles the technical paperwork. The original supplier has a pre-made packet for such requests that is forwarded onto us. 

2.) Forward on the above mention pre-assembled packets of technical and regulatory documents onto the requester. 

This is the first time that I have encountered a customer wanting a survey for each raw material within another raw material. Is this a norm that I've just now stumbled upon? 

I'd love any feedback. Thank you! 

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

It's becoming the norm due to TACCP / vulnerability studies.  I would say "expect more of it".  I would as a first step go back to your customer and ask them on the phone what they want to get out of this.  Sometimes it's to tick a box, sometimes it's really to understand the risks or vulnerabilities in your process and your supply chain.  Once you really understand what they want and why, then it might be worth trying to see if they will accept your approval or your supplier's information.  Ultimately it might lead to you having to change your processes so you collect more information up front to ensure you really understand your supply chain well.  Ironically it's not Horsegate that should have taught us this lesson but the Sudan illegal dyes crisis which spread due to lack of knowledge of supply chain complexity.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

Hi svnh.bell,

It sounds like you are not involved with BRC.

These manouevrings are a typical extension of BRC's involvement with risk assessment of process inputs/supply chains as GMO noted. And not without  justification..

BRC's rise to UK fame was particularly catalysed by yr customers need for due diligence documentation.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:
GMO

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

Hi svnh.bell,

It sounds like you are not involved with BRC.

These manouevrings are a typical extension of BRC's involvement with risk assessment of process inputs/supply chains as GMO noted. And not without  justification..

BRC's rise to UK fame was particularly catalysed by yr customers need for due diligence documentation.

Yep, UK retailers, particularly Marks and Spencers go even further.  Just expect these queries to go up and up and up...  As you say with some justification.  Ah well, it keeps technical people in their jobs!  :spoton:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users