• Quick Navigation
Photo

Dry matter content for validation of pasteurization (CCP)

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Ana Milena B

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

Hello everyone! 

I work in a company that produces protein and lactose powders from cheese whey. We had a client audit this month and the auditor indicated that the validation of one of our CCP - cheese whey pasteurization - wasn't extensive enough, since we didn't take into account the content of dry-matter. 

However, between our validation calculations, we have the Reynolds number to assure a turbulent flow, taking into accout the viscosity of the cheese whey, that is proportional to the dry matter content at the pasteurization °T. 

Is there another way to validate our pasteurization, involving the dry matter content of the cheese whey? 

Thank you in advance for all your comments!

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:49 AM

Hi Ana,

not only temperature distribution is important besides temperature, presence of water and holding time. There are lots of substances stabilizing microorganisms for being killed. A good example is to look into pasteurisation of egg products. The OIE has set minimum requirements for past of certain egg products to kill bird flu.

It is not only pasteurisation where substances like proteins and sugars are protecting. In desinfection you have to take a so-called protein factor in consideration.

Rgds

moskito

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ana Milena B

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:16 PM

Hi Moskito, 

Actually what the client wanted was for us to take into account the pressure drop do to the viscosity, and thus to the content of dry-matter, into the determination of the holding time of pasteurization. 

Now i just have to figure out how haha  :rofl2:  :oops2:

Anyways, thank you so much for your answer!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:55 PM

hi Ana,

IMHO. any attempt to assist will requre a little more info, eg -

process flowchart

target species

target micro. reduction

type of pasteurization, eg batch/continuous

Afaik, pasteurization efficiency, ie xD / associated lethality is based on the thermal profile.

validation IMEX is typically Micro.based rather than involving flow parameters, i assume some kind of theoretical flow correlation is being attempted to be formulated to express the residence time

PS - I anticipate some kind of continuous flow reactor is involved with turbulent flow

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users