• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

Good afternoon,

I have read the topics regarding USDA agents in the building.  We do not have one in the building continuously, but they are here some time each day.  My issues is with GMPs.  Our USDA does not think he has to abide by even the basics.  He wears a wedding ring with a stone in it and a watch.  He will not remove them or even wear gloves, because he says he doesn't touch product. He says he doesn't choose to come here, we ask him to.  Therefore, he is not required to follow our rules.  Another example, we do not allow hoods and strings, he continues to wear them.

What have others done in this situation? Am I wrong for asking him to comply? 

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 440 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:05 PM

Hi, OPizza;

No you are not wrong. If you are inspected to Title 9 CFR 416, then the inspector needs to follow your establishment's SSOP/GMP policy required by that very same code.

Everyone has a supervisor...   :shades:

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

OPizza

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:24 PM

As I am sure everyone is aware how difficult the agent could make it for us.  Management is hesitant to confront them so as to "keep the peace" and "not make waves".

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 440 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:28 PM

As I am sure everyone is aware how difficult the agent could make it for us.  Management is hesitant to confront them so as to "keep the peace" and "not make waves".

So don't make waves and allow a corrupt federal employee to violate their own jurisdictional code and potentially ruin your companies reputation. Or, risk assess and hover over the asshat like a hawk during his tours and keep it quiet. 

Everyone has a supervisor... 

There is an appeals process. 

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

Michelle Grace Astorga

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:52 AM

We have not experienced such scenario, but yes, you can make an appeal or report.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:17 AM

For a related thread  -

http://www.ifsqn.com...usda-no-gloves/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:52 PM

I'm not in the your building so I wouldn't have to face the consequences of speaking up, but the longer I'm in the industry the more I push back on bad auditors/inspectors. All they do is make the existing controls less effective and then we get FSMA because they don't enforce the regulations already there.

#rant

Here's the FSIS directive less than a year old telling him he's being an asshat. You can try politely sharing it with him and hope he gets that you're willing to speak upward about this issue. But decide whether your company would benefit from a few NR's to help other things get better. After all, they're not public, so while it's work for you it doesn't damage your company's reputation and is in general not a huge deal.

https://www.fsis.usd...pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 3 Members:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users