• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

Dear Community,

Beyond the Codex definition does anyone have a STEP definition?  A Step in the process, particularly in dairy. 

My point is 'when is a process part of a step or a step itself'?  It raised itself with inline filters on milk intake....

Chris

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:13 AM

Dear Community,

Beyond the Codex definition does anyone have a STEP definition?  A Step in the process, particularly in dairy. 

My point is 'when is a process part of a step or a step itself'?  It raised itself with inline filters on milk intake....

Chris

Hi Chris,

I am assuming yr context is a haccp plan flowchart.

"Process step" is in common usage but is subjective unless one defines "process" and "step".

afaik Codex do not use the term "process step" in their haccp developments.

I suggest refer to NACMCF's Haccp System. This (in context of flowchart) considers "Process" = the total  operation as defined by the HACCP "scope". Plus it defines -

Step:  A point, procedure, operation or stage in the food system from primary production to final consumption

Followed later by -

Develop a flow diagram which describes the process

The purpose of a flow diagram is to provide a clear, simple outline of the steps involved in the process. The scope of the flow diagram must cover all the steps in the process which are directly under the control of the establishment. In addition, the flow diagram can include steps in the food chain which are before and after the processing that occurs in the establishment. The flow diagram need not be as complex as engineering drawings. A block type flow diagram is sufficiently descriptive (see Appendix B. (Also, a simple schematic of the facility is often useful in understanding and evaluating product and process flow).

(I note that the interpretation of "scope" can vary, eg some haccp plans include any/all of purchasing, distribution, retailing, most common is receiving > storage)

IIRC, in my model haccp plan for yoghurt on this forum, I simply included the filters as part of the "receiving" Stage. (This does not preclude reference to filters in a hazard control sense if desired)

Here is a somewhat analogous thread where "process step" is interpreted in 2 different ways (Posts 3, 7)

http://www.ifsqn.com...4-process-step/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users