Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:50 PM

My Manager suggested that we combine multiple products and items on one Metal Detection Record (HACCP Form) I couldn't locate anything that suggested that we could not do this however being in the food industry for over two decades I have never seen this practice.  Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Elleflores619

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:50 PM

My Manager suggested that we combine multiple products and items on one Metal Detection Record (HACCP Form) I couldn't locate anything that suggested that we could not do this however being in the food industry for over two decades I have never seen this practice.  Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Edited by Charles.C, 20 July 2017 - 08:50 PM.
moved from duplicate thread

ebb30

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:08 PM

Are multiple items going through one metal detector? Or do you have multiple items going through multiple metal detectors? We run different products through one metal detector and we record the settings and type of product on the same sheet throughout the day. In our HACCP, we simply talk about our line and that it has metal detection on it as a CCP, but it does not go into detail about what kinds of product goes through. Our products are pretty similar though, so it's not like we run soup and a protein bar through the same detector, it's that we run different recipes of dough in different shapes through the same detector. 

Not sure if this is what you are asking, but hope this helps. 

Ehab Nassar

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 147 thanks
Excellent

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:21 PM

Hi Elleflores619 ,

Agree with you , had you discuss with him what is the benefit of that , mixing in one sheet is not best practices and will not help you in case of audit or investigations , however if the product description with the batch/lot is well identified and could be traced back it is OK but still there is a room for mistakes compared with one sheet for certain item /lot /batch.

BR,

Ehab 

Edited by Charles.C, 20 July 2017 - 08:50 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Peaches

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 134 posts
  • 123 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:29 PM

I agree that mixing the products on one metal detector report is not the best idea.  Also to consider is if you have customer audits you don't want them reviewing all of your documentation for all of your customers which would be the case if all of the products are on one metal detector report.  We had it separated out due to customer audits and we were inspected by the FDA and USDA and did not want to share more information than was necessary.  

Edited by Charles.C, 20 July 2017 - 08:51 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

foodsafety4all

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:36 PM

My Manager suggested that we combine multiple products and items on one Metal Detection Record (HACCP Form) I couldn't locate anything that suggested that we could not do this however being in the food industry for over two decades I have never seen this practice. Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

If all materials running on same metal detector with same setting you can use same format to keep records as time of passing products would be different. And it could be noted on the same sheet.

Sent from my E2363 using Tapatalk

jportz

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 88 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:27 PM

We use a metal detector on a line that runs various cuts of vegetables.  We just document what the customer, product, po#, lot, and quantity are ran for each one.  We then check our metal detector by passing a stainless steel, ferrous, and non-ferrous metal detector wand through at the start of shift after every break and end of shift.  The QC Department also checks the metal detector once a day on the same paper.

Elleflores619

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

Thank you both for your input. 

I just sent out an email in a very polite way declining this potential practice. 

Once again thank you both. 

E.

Edited by Charles.C, 20 July 2017 - 08:52 PM.

Elleflores619

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:13 PM

We run the various types of product. Frozen fish portions, extra value fish portions, 10lb boxes, 30lb boxes etc etcit just depends on what the customer is wanting (we are a re packing facility). For me its just easier to have separate MD sheets because when we have an audit I don't have to worry about sharing to much information with a customer audit or a third party auditor.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:56 AM

There could be Traceability/Recall issues involved with some of the previous inputs.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:19 PM

We run the various types of product. Frozen fish portions, extra value fish portions, 10lb boxes, 30lb boxes etc etcit just depends on what the customer is wanting (we are a re packing facility). For me its just easier to have separate MD sheets because when we have an audit I don't have to worry about sharing to much information with a customer audit or a third party auditor.

I am not quite sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying you are packing different products after each other and than using a different record form for each packed product? Are you not using one record form a day?

Normally I see just one form a day with the records of the tests that have been done

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:20 PM

There could be Traceability/Recall issues involved with some of the previous inputs.

Why should this include a traceability/recall issue?

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:23 PM

double post?

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:57 PM

Why should this include a (1)traceability/recall(2) issue?

(1) Post 3 - it looked like maybe everything was being piled in together at random.

(2) Post 7, by "recall" I meant rework, in a max acceptable product volume sense

And thanks for the double post spotting.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Metal Detector

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users