• 5 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:17 AM

Hi everyone, 

I want to ask about following FSSC 22000 clause : 

The organization shall implement a system to assure that analysis of all inputs critical to
the verification of product safety is undertaken. The analyses shall be performed
according to ISO 17025 or equivalent. Equivalent systems shall include at least
participation to proficiency testing).

The Question is :

Currently, my lab is just a part of QC department of  food factory and do not take ISO 17025 accreditation.  In my current understanding of above clause, we need to make sure that the analysis result is reliable, so we need to use validated method, calibrated instrument, etc. 

a. Now, how about things like organization structure, document control system, material purchasing procedure, etc? These things have been managed in our FSSC 22000 management system, so do we need to create a new one for laboratory? 

b. Do we need to create the ISO 17025 manual? or we just need to make SOPs that can comply both  ISO 17025 and FSSC 22000?

In summary, what is the extent of ISO 17025 implementation in FSSC 22000?

Thank you very much

Best regards

Sigrid B

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:51 AM

Hello,

Based on my experience, our auditors did not require a separate set of documented management system for the QA laboratory.

Our existing org charts, procedures, work instructions and guidelines were checked against the 22000 clauses, but we were checked for records of Proficiency Testing - which is not specifically in 22000.

Most of the clauses in the 17025 overlap in a way with the 22000 standards (ISO 22000s including the TS and the details in the Additional Requirements).

Thanked by 1 Member:

Karenconstable

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 90 posts
  • 38 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:04 AM

We had a similar issue a few years ago with a different ISO standard that cross-referenced ISO17025.  

We created a lab manual that addressed only the 17025 requirements that weren't already covered in our other systems or procedures,.  So we didn't repeat any requirements that 'overlapped' such as organisational structures, internal audits and management reviews.  That satisfied our auditor.  

You don't need the lab to be certified for 17025, just make sure it is operating in a way that is compliant with 17025.

Regards,

Karen Constable

Food Fraud Prevention (VACCP) Programs | Food Fraud Training |

Consulting | Advisory | Compliance

The Rotten Apple Newsletter

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users