• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:21 PM

Hi Everyone,

I might be getting into some new raw materials, one of which is coffee. My question for others with coffee as an ingredient is what kind of coffee-specific controls or hazards should I see addressed in the supplier's food safety plan or on a regular CoA? I'll be purchasing roasted whole beans.

My thoughts were:

Biological: Salmonella as a potential hazard for a dry product, but wondering if this is covered by the roasting process temps with no need for verification testing in the product itself?

Chemical: Mycotoxins seem to be a big deal in coffee, and FDA has them listed as a hazard you should address in the appendix 1 guidance. (https://www.fda.gov/...A/UCM517402.pdf)

Pesticide residues/chemicals: FDA lists this one as well, but is it common to expect a supplier to address this at the roaster level, or would it be covered through their supplier program?

Heavy metals: because of where coffee is grown, I'm always wary, is this reasonable to ask a supplier to cover?

Physical: honestly I'm going to be grinding and filtering these, so I'm not really worried about the physical hazards.

I'd love to hear back from some coffee people.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Quality & Food Safety

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:13 AM

Hello,

Let's start from the top.

Biological: theoretically sure the roasting could get you potentially there that implies two things. This step now becomes a huge CCP in your process and you must be ready to set up your critical limits - operationally what does that look like what is your window for an acceptable roasting temperature and set up your plan of action if it were to fall out of those temperatures. Also, what happens post roasting (think about storage conditions pre packaging)

Chemical: OTA is going to generally be your biggest toxin of concern amongst coffee. While you may get a letter of guarantee that meets regulations at the moment of receipt - how often did the supplier test the grains? - the level of toxins can increase through time with inappropriate storage conditions. It may be in your best interest to implement a receiving screening. Pesticides and heavy metals are reasonable to request a LOG. (I'll leave that up for the group to comment on.

Physical: you should still incorporate magnets and screens into your process to eliminate the chance of metal and glass making its way into your product.

I hope you find this helpful.

Thanked by 1 Member:

akutassy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Brazil
    Brazil

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

Hello, 

I am currently working in the coffee industry and my thoughts are:

Biological hazard

I would not think only Salmonela but also the other legislation requirements where the product will be sold based on that I would set the with the supplier. ( e.g. Thermotolerant coliforms, total Counts, salmonella etc.)

Specifically for coffee, salmonella is one risk it should be adressed by the manufacture for sure, eventhough it is treated naturally in the roasting process, to cover that you could ask for a documented roasting process validation. ( not sure how big is the company or if the company is certified with one of the GFSI recognized standards, if so it should be quite easy to get that, if is too difficult you could ask to include in your CoA.

Chemical hazard

1-OTA I  agree 100% with my coleague " Quality and food safety" - the good practice is to inspect the green coffee on receiveing, make sure it is stored in a dry place. There is several literature regarding OTA is destroyed during the roast process. I would not count on that for now. In my opinion you could ask to inclued in the CoA.

2-Pesticides and heavy metals I would request that also, but not necessarily per lot may be external analysis( 17025 standard) e.g. it could be a blend of all lots sold you  and tested every month or  every three months.

Physical hazard

I also agree with " Quality and food safety", you should consider in order to comply with legislation.

Hope I could help!

Kind Regards, 

Thanked by 1 Member:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:21 PM

Thanks, any specific pesticides/herbicides I need to watch out for? I see that coffee is often fumigated.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

S@feF00d4@ll

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 December 2019 - 06:09 PM

I really appreciate coming across this information because I am currently venturing into the world of coffee roasting!  :biggrin:

Has anyone witnessed any updates to these hazards since this discussion was started?

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hazard analysis, CoA, Mycotoxin, Toxin, Pesticide residue, Coffee, coffee bean, aspergillus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users