Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 123 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:IronMan Competitor & Film lover
    IFSQN Member of the Month July 2017 and chuffin proud!

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:52 PM

Afternoon IFSQN, 

I know its been mentioned before but for some reason i just can't get my head around it. I've read the previous forums info but it just won't compute in my small Welsh brain.

I'm testing potable water in a winery, its added to alcohol & goes through micron filters so haven't been too worried. Recently the results straight from tap in TVC 2 & 3 days are >1000 cfu/ml. (Before we do anything with it)

Should i be worried that they are >1000cfu/ml for TVC,  purely in the context of water supply before we process it?

Do we see differences in results depending on where we are in the year?

What is a reasonable result and what are good/ok/bad limits?

We routenly test final products and they are all clean due to our processes.

Cheers

DW

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:20 PM

There are varying standards for TVC/HPC/APC in water, but all of them state that it isn't a food safety indicator.

Most likely contamination points would be holding tanks or hoses/faucets. Are these counts from your pipe direct, are there any attachments/areation screens/hoses between your actual pipes and the sample point? TDS testing compared to your water provider could also help you tell if a pipe has cracked underground.

Is your water source a well or a municipal supply? Wells can get fouled and require treatment.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

GrumpyJimmy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 123 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:IronMan Competitor & Film lover
    IFSQN Member of the Month July 2017 and chuffin proud!

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:27 PM

Hi FurFarmandFork

A municiple source, it confuses me as its edged up over the last few months. Like i said im not worried about the product purely as nothing could servive in the environment but am interested why it happens and what would trigger some kind of action

cheers

DW

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:04 PM

Afternoon IFSQN, 

I know its been mentioned before but for some reason i just can't get my head around it. I've read the previous forums info but it just won't compute in my small Welsh brain.

I'm testing potable water in a winery, its added to alcohol & goes through micron filters so haven't been too worried. Recently the results straight from tap in TVC 2 & 3 days are >1000 cfu/ml. (Before we do anything with it)

Should i be worried that they are >1000cfu/ml for TVC,  purely in the context of water supply before we process it?

Do we see differences in results depending on where we are in the year?

What is a reasonable result and what are good/ok/bad limits?

We routenly test final products and they are all clean due to our processes.

Cheers

DW

Hi DW,

So what are the legislatory micro. requirements for potable water in UK ? (I think the topic has been discussed here earlier).

For EC, afaik, there are specific TVC (inter alia) count requirements for process water which will contact "food". The (2) TVC limits vary with the measurement temperature however, from memory, i think yr quoted value is substantially (~ 10x)  greater than the higher of the 2 values.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users