• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:52 PM

Good Morning,

I am wondering how inclusive my process flows steps need to be. Should I include movement of the raw ingredients from one workstation to the next?

Step #4 Thawing overnight with circulated water (In tanks)

Step #5 Inspection and trimming

In between Step 4 and 5, The product is moved in tanks to the trimming line, then the tank is lifted and dumped onto the trimming line. 

I feel it should be a step, but then would I follow suit with all movement between workstations? 

Thanks for your help!

Andy_Yellows

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 201 posts
  • 37 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Football, Dr Pepper

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:05 PM

I would say include movement of raw ingredients if there is any hazard associated with them (i.e. running open product underneath something that could cause physical contamination or touching the product with hands/dirty machinery). That way you've maintained control throughout the entire process.

Andy

On the Ball, City

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:57 PM

I would include any movement of raw materials, work in progress and finished goods.  You need to address any possible contamination that might occur during the movement.  Your process flow chart is a picture showing the different areas where you need to consider risk and the control procedures.

Thanked by 1 Member:

itreatpets

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for the advice Andy_Yellows and CMHeywood! 

After spending the day watching just the movement of product and how it is done, It has more hazards than I thought!

I will definitely add the movement of product into the flow. I am just wondering how it should look?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:50 PM

So which FS Standard is involved ?

The hazard analysis/Steps are logically correlated to the (preliminary) flowchart. (See Codex).

Opinions on "steps"  vary but I typically represent movement such as carrying/transferring under "GMP control" on a flowchart by an arrow except where you know a sig,hazard is going to be involved, eg metal conveyor belts.

Specific flowchart requirements seem to vary, eg BRC makes zero use of CPs. SQF (for some [patriotic?] reason) wants them. Go figure !

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

itreatpets

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

So which FS Standard is involved ?

The hazard analysis/Steps are logically correlated to the (preliminary) flowchart. (See Codex).

Opinions on "steps"  vary but I typically represent movement such as carrying/transferring under "GMP control" on a flowchart by an arrow except where you know a sig,hazard is going to be involved, eg metal conveyor belts.

Specific flowchart requirements seem to vary, eg BRC makes zero use of CPs. SQF (for some [patriotic?] reason) wants them. Go figure !

SQF

Most of the movement introduce new hazards, mostly in the form of hand tools or carts.

Some of these flow charts are starting to look more like a maze or puzzle, I wonder if it's acceptable to have colour coded arrows to repersent certain steps ie: Blue arrows stands for product on carts being moved in the raw area, red arrows for carts in cooked area. Then have a legend to explain it. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:50 PM

SQF

Most of the movement introduce new hazards, mostly in the form of hand tools or carts.

Some of these flow charts are starting to look more like a maze or puzzle, I wonder if it's acceptable to have colour coded arrows to repersent certain steps ie: Blue arrows stands for product on carts being moved in the raw area, red arrows for carts in cooked area. Then have a legend to explain it. 

Hi ITP,

There are a few examples of SQF flowcharts in earlier threads.

And yes, from memory, the pictorial inclusion of CPs can generate mazes in some cases.

The orignal Codex only expected basic block diagrams which correlated to the CCPs.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users