• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:04 PM

Hello,

I am working in a frozen food processing facility that manufactures frozen dough.  We perform in house rapid allergen tests for milk, soy and egg allergens as well as ATP.  Based on our most recent SQF audit we were told that we should implement an allergen validation utilizing a 3rd party lab.  We sent out one round of swabs for all 3 allergens from processing equipment and 1 came back positive for soy.  We then sanitized the line again and sent out another round of swabs.  This time the results came back positive for milk and soy.  Do any of you have any ideas as to how we may be able to revamp our sanitation or allergen programs? Also what would the next steps be?  Our current practices do not seem to be helping with the elimination of the allergens. Any information or resources that anyone knows of would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Bob1988

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:15 AM

Hi, Brendar

What kind of swabs do you use for allergen testing?  are they similar to Q-tips in shape? 

How much area do you swab for allergen testing? I believe you are not swabbing area more than 5mmX5mm for allergen.

Lastly, I would recommend you to go for deep cleaning and then perform your in-house and 3rd party validation test together. If there is a discrepancy in that then I think you need to review your testing method with your supplier.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Bob.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:50 AM

Hello,

I am working in a frozen food processing facility that manufactures frozen dough.  We perform in house rapid allergen tests for milk, soy and egg allergens as well as ATP.  Based on our most recent SQF audit we were told that we should implement an allergen validation utilizing a 3rd party lab.  We sent out one round of swabs for all 3 allergens from processing equipment and 1 came back positive for soy.  We then sanitized the line again and sent out another round of swabs.  This time the results came back positive for milk and soy.  Do any of you have any ideas as to how we may be able to revamp our sanitation or allergen programs? Also what would the next steps be?  Our current practices do not seem to be helping with the elimination of the allergens. Any information or resources that anyone knows of would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Hi Brendar,

Not personally utilising ATP  or allergen testing but I can offer a few general comments / suggestions to yr OP  -  

(1) It is unclear whether the test locations of the 2 result sets were "identical" ?

(2) were the test locations all visually clean ?

(3) Did the (hopefully validated) ATP data at test locations show any correlation with allergen results ? (a negative answer is not particularly meaningful, a positive answer might be)

(4) validate yr in-house techniques - this involves an evaluation of yr sampling/analytical procedures. For example it is advisable to (a) do, minimally, duplicate samplings for a given test location and (b) validate yr allergen testing methodology. Particularly when implementing a new "Procedure".

(5) what is current cleaning/sanitising procedure ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Brendar1

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:20 PM

Charles.C

Thank you for replying!  Here is the additional information as asked in your questions:

1. Yes the two test locations were identical

2.  Yes the locations were visually clean

3. The ATP results and rapid tests have been coming back negative.  On the occasion that they are positive we clean again and then retest.

4.  We will evaluate our test program more in depth

5. We have daily pre operation checks with a visual inspection prior to use of equipment.  If the equipment appears to be lacking in cleanliness, we sanitize again.  We clean and sanitize every time we are switching to another product and perform allergen tests prior to equipment use.

Bob1988-

For the validation we are using swabs that do look like Q tips, provided by the outside testing lab.  I swabbed a larger area than 5 mm by 5 mm.  It was approximately 4x4 inches.  I will further discuss a deep cleaning with the Management team.  

Thank you both very much for your time and replies!  

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:25 PM

Charles.C

Thank you for replying!  Here is the additional information as asked in your questions:

1. Yes the two test locations were identical

2.  Yes the locations were visually clean

3. The ATP results and rapid tests have been coming back negative.  On the occasion that they are positive we clean again and then retest.

4.  We will evaluate our test program more in depth

5. We have daily pre operation checks with a visual inspection prior to use of equipment.  If the equipment appears to be lacking in cleanliness, we sanitize again.  We clean and sanitize every time we are switching to another product and perform allergen tests prior to equipment use.

Bob1988-

For the validation we are using swabs that do look like Q tips, provided by the outside testing lab.  I swabbed a larger area than 5 mm by 5 mm.  It was approximately 4x4 inches.  I will further discuss a deep cleaning with the Management team.  

Thank you both very much for your time and replies!  

Hi Brendar,

This reference may be of interest, especially the middle sections on sampling (testing) procedures -

https://www.foodsafe...clean-standard/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

CTucci

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

Just a thought, could a biofilm be forming?

Brendar1

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:11 PM

I hadn't considered the possibility of a biofilm forming.  Our ATP testing has been fine, it is only the allergen testing that we are having issues with.  Could a biofilm impact allergen testing? 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users