• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:41 PM

Hello, 

We are working towards SQF Certification(previously level 2) and hope to be ready by the middle of next year. I have researched my specific questions around this topic to no avail. 

I am currently working through the Chemical program and list. There is some confusion on what should be included on the Approved chemical list. We have food grade and nonfood grade areas in our facility. Currently I have the chemicals we use on the production floor and the chemicals in our maintenance shop listed.

But...

Should paints and caulking be on this list?

Should cleaners used in the office, and hand soaps be on the list?

We are going to include the cleaning chemicals used for our lab equipment on the list, but if there are, for example Lysol wipes or Windex in the lab should this be on the list?

Should the list include the amount on hand of each item as well? 

The code seems very relaxed around what exactly I am supposed to set up with this list. My initial thought was to have the main iron clad list of chemicals we use in production and the other items have on a separate list, that represents "yes they are in the facility but not in processing areas."

Please any guidance would be appreciated. 

Thank you, 

A

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:13 PM

I include all the chemicals pertinent to our sanitation program in a special list, with concentration instructions and whether or not a rinse is required. My "list" of all other chemicals in the facility is my MSDS book.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

freehli4

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:17 PM

Thank you Fur,

That was my next question, Do all the items in the maintenance shop(including paint and caulk), hand soaps, office cleaning supplies need an SDS?

Tomato Country Girl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:58 PM

Yes you should have and SDS for any chemical that you have including paint, office cleaning supplies anything used in case of an emergency that staff can pull up the SDS for it. SQF will walk around and write down chemicals they see throughout your facility and then ask you to see the SDS.  Took a hit last year did not have one for the paint can she saw in storage.

Kind Regards,

Susan

Thanked by 1 Member:

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:41 PM

We are an SQF Certified facility and what we have done is create a master list of every chemical used in the plant.  We then assign a department  the chemical that it lives in or pertains to.  As Susan mentioned an auditor will ask for an SDS for chemicals observed during the audit.  We also have added in a risk assessment to the chemical list and highlighted all food grade lubricants for ease of finding and reference.  This is an easily audited register that can be used to verify chemicals in each department.  All paints, caulking, etc are on the list even if stored in an outside cabinet.  

I hope this helps and good luck with the certification. 

:coffee:

Thanked by 1 Member:

freehli4

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

Hi, 

Does anyone know if the SDS we have on file needs to be the manufacture's SDS or can they be any company's? 

For example we have items in our maintenance shop which are no longer made or the company is out of business so I cannot find the updated SDS(in GHS format) from that specific company. could I use an SDS from another company?

Thank you - Such a tedious task! 

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:48 PM

You need to have the manufactures supplied SDS, these need to be specific to the chemical used.  Per OSHA you should be keeping an SDS on file for 30 years. 

https://www.osha.gov...ARDS&p_id=10027

Really reading and understanding what is required is key.  If cannot find an SDS due to be an old chemical then it might be good to start purchasing new chemicals that have current GHS supplied SDS.  

:coffee:

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:07 PM

freehli4

Hi, 

Does anyone know if the SDS we have on file needs to be the manufacture's SDS or can they be any company's? 

For example we have items in our maintenance shop which are no longer made or the company is out of business so I cannot find the updated SDS(in GHS format) from that specific company. could I use an SDS from another company?

Thank you - Such a tedious task! 

You should have kept the older version of the MSDS and, if the chemical is still active, should keep it in the "book" if no SDS exists for it. GHS does not necessarily require SDS, just the most recent version of a data sheet. If there IS an SDS you should find it and replace the MSDS. I would just find a replacement and discard the old chemical, then archive the MSDS.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:10 PM

Not a sqf user myself and the related sqf clause is not stated but surely chemicals like lubricants stored in (assumed external) Engineering Department and  used for external compressors are not relevant to the FS program ?

And similarly for laboratory ? (assumed no direct contact to Production areas/storage in lab).

And ditto Office (ditto).

Risk presumably ~ Zero.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:56 PM

addendum

just as an (incomplete) example from SQF8, module 11 -

11.6.4.1  Hazardous chemicals and toxic substances with the potential for food contamination shall be stored so as not to present a hazard to staff, product, packaging, product handling equipment or areas in which the product is handled, stored or transported.
11.6.4.2  Processing utensils and packaging shall not be stored in areas used to store hazardous chemicals and toxic substances.
11.6.4.3  Daily supplies of chemicals used for continuous sanitizing of water or as a processing aid, or for emergency cleaning of food processing equipment or surfaces in food contact zones, may be stored within or in close proximity to a processing area provided access to the chemical storage site is restricted to authorized personnel.
11.6.4.4 Pesticides, rodenticides, fumigants and insecticides shall be stored separate from sanitizers and detergents.  All chemicals shall be stored in their original containers, or in clearly labelled and suitable secondary containers if allowed by applicable legislation.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:46 AM

But...

...YES

...YES

We are going to include the cleaning chemicals used for our lab equipment on the list, but if there are, for example Lysol wipes or Windex in the lab should this be on the list?

...YES

...YES - running inventory and post the list that pertains to the chemicals in use at storage unit

The code seems very relaxed around what exactly I am supposed to set up with this list. My initial thought was to have the main iron clad list of chemicals we use in production and the other items have on a separate list, that represents "yes they are in the facility but not in processing areas."

We use a master list that updates each day and then sub lists at each storage location that are updated daily -- this is an electronic system by the way, a lot easier than paper - but we started with paper.  I think you will find the code to be clear after a couple of reads.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 August 2018 - 02:24 AM

But...

...YES

...YES

...YES

...YES - running inventory and post the list that pertains to the chemicals in use at storage unit

We use a master list that updates each day and then sub lists at each storage location that are updated daily -- this is an electronic system by the way, a lot easier than paper - but we started with paper.  I think you will find the code to be clear after a couple of reads.

Hi SQFC,

Perhaps you could indicate where the "Yes's" are specifically required/(implied to be required) by the Code ?

My inital reaction is of a Gigantic Overkill but SQF has frequently succeeded in astonishing me as to its Empire-building capabilities.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:52 PM

I would never include office cleaning supplies.........it is generally separate staff who do not roam from area to area; start listing window cleaner used only in the office washrooms where do you stop?

We need to use prudence on these items

There should be 2 sets of doors at least between the office and the production areas, so where is the risk?

Should the lab not also be separated by 2 doors?  Again, where is the risk

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users