Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:36 PM

I am trying to find all the examples of hazards in Safflower. So far the only examples I have found is a case of aflatoxin due to poor storage practices in Bulagaria and Iran, and a section in the FDA's guidance for human food that listed aflatoxins in Safflower oil.

The FDA has guidances for possible hazards in human food, but does it have guidances for hazards in animal food, or similar type of source that I could cite? 

also does anyone have an example that i may have missed?

thank you for the help

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:31 PM

I am trying to find all the examples of hazards in Safflower. So far the only examples I have found is a case of aflatoxin due to poor storage practices in Bulagaria and Iran, and a section in the FDA's guidance for human food that listed aflatoxins in Safflower oil.

The FDA has guidances for possible hazards in human food, but does it have guidances for hazards in animal food, or similar type of source that I could cite? 

thank you for the help

Hi Joe,

Can you add a little context, eg -

is this a proposed import or ??

has the specific item been processed.eg are you referring to the herb or the oil  ?

(if it's an unprocessed herb, it will logically have the environmental characteristics)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Joe Hansen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:55 PM

its whole safflower seed for pet food that is grown in the US and sold in the US. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

thank you for the help

Hi Joe,

Given historical issues with aflatoxin in animal feeds, I think the existing safflower guidance for "human food" including aflatoxin implies that your inspectors may expect you to have a supplier preventive control or process preventive control in place to control for mold growth. Verification with testing at some interval.

Aflatoxin also has a legal limit for " other animal feed ingredients intended for dairy animals, for animal species or uses not specified above, or when the intended use is not known" which presumably would apply to your product, and sets precedent that FDA considers it a hazard that must be controlled.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users