Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:41 PM

Good evening to everyone. I have a request for the community. According to EU legislation the addition of sodium ascorbate on heat tretead meat products is quantum satis. Our corporation makes various dry mixes/blends. In one of them (we are selling it to meat products factories which are making heat treated meat products eg sausages..) the ingredients are phosphate salts (e451), sodium nitrite (e250) sodium ascorbate (e301) etc. For all the other ingredients there are limitations in legislation fore the sodium ascorbate not (quantum satis). Does anyone knows to suggest me any references about the GMPs for the recomended percentage of sodium ascorbate in those food products.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:58 PM

Good evening to everyone. I have a request for the community. According to EU legislation the addition of sodium ascorbate on heat tretead meat products is quantum satis. Our corporation makes various dry mixes/blends. In one of them (we are selling it to meat products factories which are making heat treated meat products eg sausages..) the ingredients are phosphate salts (e451), sodium nitrite (e250) sodium ascorbate (e301) etc. For all the other ingredients there are limitations in legislation fore the sodium ascorbate not (quantum satis). Does anyone knows to suggest me any references about the GMPs for the recomended percentage of sodium ascorbate in those food products.

JFI -

Quantum satis (abbreviation q.s. or Q.S.) is a Latin term meaning the amount which is enough. It has its origins as a quantity specification in medicine and pharmacology, where a similar term quantum sufficit has been used (abbreviated Q.S.).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

nkonstas

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:49 AM

Hi Charles.

I know the meaning of Q.S.but when the final user uses this blend me as a producer and not him I have to prove in any Audit from official authorities that the amount I use in my blend for this ingredient (sodium ascorbate) (eg 6%), the proposed use (dosage 0.5% on the final product) is ok. I search on the web (with poor results) in order to find out what is the typical dosage for sodium ascorbate in meat products in order to achieve the result (as antioxidant). For example is it  circa 0.02% or circa 10%? I need some help with any book/paper or Manufacturing practice for this uses.

Thank you for your reply

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:54 AM

Hi Charles.

I know the meaning of Q.S.but when the final user uses this blend me as a producer and not him I have to prove in any Audit from official authorities that the amount I use in my blend for this ingredient (sodium ascorbate) (eg 6%), the proposed use (dosage 0.5% on the final product) is ok. I search on the web (with poor results) in order to find out what is the typical dosage for sodium ascorbate in meat products in order to achieve the result (as antioxidant). For example is it  circa 0.02% or circa 10%? I need some help with any book/paper or Manufacturing practice for this uses.

Thank you for your reply

Hi nkonstas,

Yes, the problem was that I didn't know the meaning of QS and I guessed a lot of other people might not either. So i added a little more info.

IIRC the EC/Codex list of approved E numbers gives an indication of recommended levels of some of its listed items. i assume you hv checked this already and found QS. If so I daresay only meat manufacturers (unlike myself) will know a meaningful answer to what is QS (eg best practice in meat industry).

I hope someone may be able to respond.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users